The Federal Reserve, the Bank of England and the rise of the dollar as an international currency, 1914-39
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Menzie D. Chinn & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 2008.
"The Euro May Over the Next 15 Years Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Currency,"
NBER Working Papers
13909, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chinn, Menzie & Frankel, Jeffrey, 2008. "The Euro May over the Next 15 Years Surpass the Dollar as Leading International Currency," Working Paper Series rwp08-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann Ricardo & Panizza Ugo, 2011.
"Redemption or Abstinence? Original Sin, Currency Mismatches and Counter Cyclical Policies in the New Millennium,"
Journal of Globalization and Development,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-35, August.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza, 2010. "Redemption or Abstinence? Original Sin, Currency Mismatches and Counter-Cyclical Policies in the New Millenium," CID Working Papers 194, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Battilossi, Stefano, 2006. "The determinants of multinational banking during the first globalisation 1880â€“1914," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 361-388, December.
- Gino Cattani & Adrian E. Tschoegl, 2002. "An Evolutionary View of Internationalization: Chase Manhattan Bank, 1917 to 1996," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-37, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Flandreau, Marc & Jobst, Clemens, 2005. "The Ties that Divide. A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System," CEPR Discussion Papers 5129, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 2009.
"The rise and fall of the dollar (or when did the dollar replace sterling as the leading reserve currency?),"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 377-411, December.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 2008. "The Rise and Fall of the Dollar, or When did the Dollar Replace Sterling as the Leading Reserve Currency?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moulton, Brent R, 1990. "An Illustration of a Pitfall in Estimating the Effects of Aggregate Variables on Micro Unit," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 334-338, May.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- To RMB or not to RMB? Lessons from Currency History
by Steve Cecchetti and Kim Schoenholtz in Money, Banking and Financial Markets on 2014-08-18 15:42:16
- Donald Trump, Treasury Debt and the Dollar
by Stephen G. Cecchetti in Huffington Post Business on 2016-05-24 09:01:07
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ignazio Angeloni & André Sapir, 2011. "The international monetary system is changing- what opportunities and risks for the euro?," Working Papers 632, Bruegel.
- Chiţu, Livia & Eichengreen, Barry & Mehl, Arnaud, 2014.
"History, gravity and international finance,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 104-129.
- Mehl, Arnaud & Eichengreen, Barry & Chiţu, Livia, 2012. "History, gravity and international finance," Working Paper Series 1466, European Central Bank.
- Livia Chițu & Barry Eichengreen & Arnaud J. Mehl, 2013. "History, Gravity and International Finance," NBER Working Papers 18697, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Helleiner & Anton Malkin, 2012. "Sectoral Interests and Global Money: Renminbi, Dollars and the Domestic Foundations of International Currency Policy," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 33-55, February.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benjamin Carton & Christophe Destais & Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Shahin Vallée, .
"Global currencies for tomorrow- a European perspective,"
Bruegel, number 592, December.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benjamin Carton & Zsolt Darvas & Christophe Destais & Ludovic Gauvin & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Shahin Vallée, 2011. "Global currencies for tomorrow: A European perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 444, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2011. "Global Currencies for Tomorrow: A European Perspective," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174278, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert N McCauley & Tracy Chan, 2014. "Currency movements drive reserve composition," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2011. "Quel système monétaire international pour une économie mondiale en mutation rapide ?," Working Papers 2011-04, CEPII research center.
- Yu, Yongding, 2012. "Revisiting the Internationalization of the Yuan," ADBI Working Papers 366, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Zhang, Cathy, 2014.
"An information-based theory of international currency,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 286-301.
- Zhang, Cathy, 2013. "An Information-Based Theory of International Currency," MPRA Paper 42114, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomasz Serwach, 2013. "Renminbi jako waluta miedzynarodowa - stan obecny oraz ocena perspektyw / Renminbi as international currency - current state and potential perspectives," International Economics, University of Lodz, Faculty of Economics and Sociology, issue 4, pages 39-53, December.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Lei Ye, 2011. "The renminbi’s role in the global monetary system," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov, pages 127-197.
- Chiţu, Livia & Eichengreen, Barry & Mehl, Arnaud, 2014.
"When did the dollar overtake sterling as the leading international currency? Evidence from the bond markets,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 225-245.
- Livia Chitu & Barry Eichengreen & Arnaud J. Mehl, 2012. "When did the dollar overtake sterling as the leading international currency? Evidence from the bond markets," NBER Working Papers 18097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mehl, Arnaud & Eichengreen, Barry & Chiţu, Livia, 2012. "When did the dollar overtake sterling as the leading international currency? Evidence from the bond markets," Working Paper Series 1433, European Central Bank.
- Benjamin Cohen, 2012. "The Benefits and Costs of an International Currency: Getting the Calculus Right," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 13-31, February.
- Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2013. "Where It All Began: Lending of Last Resort and Bank of England Monitoring During the Overend-Gurney Panic of 1866," Post-Print hal-01293916, HAL.
More about this item
Keywordsforeign exchange reserves; network externalities; path dependency; money markets;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2010-12-18 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2010-12-18 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IFN-2010-12-18 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2010-12-18 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biswps:328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/bisssch.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.