The Ties that Divide. A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System
This paper provides a new methodology to map international monetary relations in the 19th century. We identify an index of international liquidity and, applying techniques borrowed from formal network analysis (in particular, blockmodelling) we produce a formal ranking of currencies according to their degree of international circulation. The resulting indices are powerful tools to study the logic of the emergence of international currencies, as well as useful controls for cross-section regressions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Flandreau & John Komlos, 2005.
"Target zones in History and Theory : efficiency, credibility and policy autonomy,"
Sciences Po publications
n°5199, Sciences Po.
- Marc Flandreau & John Komlos, 2005. "Target zones in History and Theory : efficiency, credibility and policy autonomy," Working Papers hal-01065605, HAL.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/324 is not listed on IDEAS
- Flandreau, Marc & Sussman, Nathan, 2004. "Old Sins: Exchange Rate Clauses and European Foreign Lending in the 19th Century," CEPR Discussion Papers 4248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luis CatÃ£o & Solomos Solomou, 2003. "Exchange Rates in the Periphery and International Adjustment Under the Gold Standard," IMF Working Papers 03/41, International Monetary Fund.
- Hartmann,Philipp, 2007.
"Currency Competition and Foreign Exchange Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521046930, October.
- Marc Flandreau & Nathan Sussman, 2004.
"Old sins. Exchange Clauses and European Foreign Lending in the 19th Century,"
- Marc Flandreau & Nathan Sussman, 2004. "Old sins. Exchange Clauses and European Foreign Lending in the 19th Century," Sciences Po publications n°4248, Sciences Po.
- Michael P. Dooley & David Folkerts-Landau & Peter Garber, 2003.
"An Essay on the Revived Bretton Woods System,"
NBER Working Papers
9971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.