The Benefits and Costs of an International Currency: Getting the Calculus Right
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Elias Papaioannou & Richard Portes, 2008. "Costs and benefits of running an international currency," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 348, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Flandreau, Marc & Jobst, Clemens, 2005.
"The Ties that Divide: A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System, 1890 1910,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 65(04), pages 977-1007, December.
- Marc Flandreau & Clemens Jobst, 2005. "The Ties that Divide: A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System, 1890-1910," Working Papers hal-01065599, HAL.
- Marc Flandreau & Clemens Jobst, 2005. "The Ties that Divide: A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System, 1890-1910," Sciences Po publications n°5129, Sciences Po.
- Benjamin J. Cohen, 1971. "The Seigniorage Gain of an International Currency: An Empirical Test," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 85(3), pages 494-507.
- Adam S. Posen, 2008. "Why the Euro will Not Rival the Dollar," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 75-100, May.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 2009.
"The rise and fall of the dollar (or when did the dollar replace sterling as the leading reserve currency?),"
European Review of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 377-411, December.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 2008. "The Rise and Fall of the Dollar, or When did the Dollar Replace Sterling as the Leading Reserve Currency?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frieden, Jeffry A., 1991. "Invested interests: the politics of national economic policies in a world of global finance," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(04), pages 425-451, September.
- Menzie Chinn & Jeffrey Frankel, 2008.
"Why the Euro Will Rival the Dollar,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 55(3), pages 255-278, September.
- Marc Flandreau & Clemens Jobst, 2009. "The Empirics of International Currencies: Network Externalities, History and Persistence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 643-664, April.
- Barry Eichengreen & Marc Flandreau, 2010. "The Federal Reserve, the Bank of England and the rise of the dollar as an international currency, 1914-39," BIS Working Papers 328, Bank for International Settlements.
- Benjamin J. Cohen, 2009. "Dollar Dominance, Euro Aspirations: Recipe for Discord?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 741-766, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Bordo & Robert N McCauley, 2017. "Triffin: dilemma or myth?," BIS Working Papers 684, Bank for International Settlements.
- Michael D. Bordo & Robert N. McCauley, 2016. "The Current Account Version of the Triffin Dilemma," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 44(2), pages 171-182, June.
- Hyoung-kyu Chey, 2013. "The Concepts, Consequences, and Determinants of Currency Internationalization," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-03, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Satyendra Kumar Gupta & Ashima Goyal, 2014. "Reserve currencies: Can multiplicity work?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2014-010, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Batten, Jonathan A. & Szilagyi, Peter G., 2016. "The internationalisation of the RMB: New starts, jumps and tipping points," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 221-238.
- Michael Zharikov, 2016. "The Effectiveness of Direct Trade between China and Near-Border Subjects of the Russian Federation," Economy of region, Centre for Economic Security, Institute of Economics of Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, vol. 1(1), pages 189-200.
- Dominik A. Skopiec, 2014. "Perspektywy internacjonalizacji waluty Chin," Gospodarka Narodowa, Warsaw School of Economics, issue 1, pages 5-31.
- Zhang, Liqing & Tao, Kunyu, 2014. "The Benefits and Costs of Renminbi Internationalization," ADBI Working Papers 481, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ainur Sabyr & Behrooz Gharleghi & Benjamin Chan Yin Fah, 2015. "Factors Determining the Globalization of Renminbi," International Journal of Business and Social Research, MIR Center for Socio-Economic Research, vol. 5(3), pages 11-18, March.
- repec:wsi:jicepx:v:08:y:2017:i:02:n:s1793993317500119 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Gersten Reiss, 2015.
"Invoice currency: Puzzling evidence and new questions from Brazil,"
ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 16(2), pages 206-225.
- Reiss, Daniel Gersten, 2014. "Invoice Currency in Brazil," MPRA Paper 59412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Gersten Reiss, 2015. "Invoice Currency: puzzling evidence and new questions from Brazil," Working Papers Series 382, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- McCauley, Robert N., 2015. "Does the US dollar confer an exorbitant privilege?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 1-14.
- Menzie Chinn, 2015. "Emerging Market Economies and the Next Reserve Currencies," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 155-174, February.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2013. "RMB internationalisation and currency co-operation in East Asia," Working Papers 125, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
More about this item
KeywordsCurrency pyramid; Misconceptions; Misplaced concreteness; Mistakes; E42; F33;
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:23:y:2012:i:1:p:13-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .