Towards a Differentiated Analysis of Competition of Competition Laws
Can "competition of competition laws" be a feasible concept that should play an important role in an international order for the worldwide protection of competition? We introduce four different types of regulatory competition that allow for a more differentiated analysis of beneficial and deficient effects of competition of competition laws. Our analysis shows that most types of regulatory competition have a rather limited scope for application to competition laws. However, yardstick competition can be very promising and represents a powerful argument against centralisation. An important result of our analysis is that the institutional framework of any competition of competition laws plays a crucial role for its workability.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul R, 1987. "Is Free Trade Passe?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 131-144, Fall.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416-416.
- Van den Bergh, Roger, 2000. "Towards an Institutional Legal Framework for Regulatory Competition in Europe," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 435-466.
- Bernard Hoekman, 1997. "Competition Policy and the Global Trading System," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 383-406, July.
- Klaus Heine & Wolfgang Kerber, 2002. "European Corporate Laws, Regulatory Competition and Path Dependence," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Jeanne-Mey Sun & Jacques Pelkmans, 1995. "Regulatory Competition in the Single Market," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 67-89, March.
- Petros C. MAVROIDIS & Damien J. NEVEN, 2000. "The Modernisation of EU Competition Policy : Making the Network Operate," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 00.17, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Viktor Vanberg & Wolfgang Kerber, 1994. "Institutional competition among jurisdictions: An evolutionary approach," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 193-219, March.
- Kollman, Ken & Miller, John H & Page, Scott E, 2000. "Decentralization and the Search for Policy Solutions," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 102-128, April.
- Neumann, Manfred, 1990. "Industrial policy and competition policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 562-567, May.
- Van Den Bergh, Roger, 1996. "Economic criteria for applying the subsidiarity principle in the European community: The case of competition policy," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 363-383, September.
- Salmon, Pierre, 1987.
"Decentralisation as an Incentive Scheme,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 24-43, Summer.
- SALMON, Pierre, 1987. "Decentralization as an incentive scheme," Institut des Mathématiques Economiques – Document de travail de l’I.M.E. (1974-1993) 98, Institut des Mathématiques Economiques. LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Kovacic, William E, 1992. "The Influence of Economics on Antitrust Law," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(2), pages 294-306, April.
- Breton,Albert, 1996. "Competitive Governments," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521481021, December.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2004. "The New Systems Competition," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(1), pages 23-38, 02.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001. "The New Systems Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 623, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2004. "The new systems competition," Munich Reprints in Economics 19608, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2002. "The New Systems Competition," NBER Working Papers 8747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shughart, Willam II & Tollison, Robert D., 1985. "The positive economics of antitrust policy: A survey article," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-57, June.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2002. "Recent Challenges to the Classical Gains-from-Trade Proposition," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(4), pages 485-489, November.
- Wolfgang Kerber, "undated". "An International Multi-Level System of Competition Laws: Federalism in Antitrust," German Working Papers in Law and Economics 2003-1-1065, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Thomas Apolte & Rolf Caspers & Rolf Caspers, "undated". "Standortwettbewerb, wirtschaftspolitische Rationalität und internationale Ordnungspolitik," List Monographien 020, List Gesellschaft e.V..
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "The selection principle and market failure in systems competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 247-274, November.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "The selection principle and market failure in systems competition," Munich Reprints in Economics 19854, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Romano, Roberta, 1985. "Law as a Product: Some Pieces of the Incorporation Puzzle," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 225-283, Fall.
- Theresa M. Greaney, 1999. "Strategic Trade and Competition Policies to Assist Distressed Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 767-784, May.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bep:dewple:2004-1-1090. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.