Competition, Competition Policy and the GATT
This paper argues that further moves to liberalize trade and to implement existing GATT disciplines may have a greater impact on global competition than the pursuit of harmonized multilateral competition policy disciplines. It also suggests that current GATT rules and case law provide scope for both the application and non-application of existing domestic competition laws of contracting parties to be challenged in those instances where this leads to de facto discrimination between domestic and foreign products. Little use has been made of the GATT in this connection, suggesting that exploration of existing indirect avenues to raise competition-related disputes in GATT be pursued more actively. This would help to identify what specific government policies might be the subject of multilateral negotiations and explicit incorporation into the GATT framework.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0378-5920|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Auquier, A A & Caves, R E, 1979. "Monopolistic Export Industries, Trade Taxes, and Optimal Competition Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 559-581, September.
- Patrick Messerlin, 1990. "The European Community," Working Papers hal-00972814, HAL.
- Alexis Jacquemin, 1993. "The International Dimension of European Competition Policy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 91-102, 03.
- Hoekman, Bernard M, 1993. "New Issues in the Uruguay Round and Beyond," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1528-1539, November.
- Hoekman, Bernard M. & Leidy, Michael P., 1992. "Cascading contingent protection," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 883-892, May.
- Bernard Hoekman, 1992. "Market Access Through Multilateral Agreement: From Goods to Services," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 707-728, November.