Competition policy, developing countries, and the World Trade Organization
The authors discuss developing country interests in including competition law disciplines in the World Trade Organization (WTO). Developing countries have a great interest in pursuing active domestic competition policy, they conclude, but should do so independent of the WTO. Given the mercantilist basis of multilateral trade negotiations, the WTO is less likely to be a powerful instrument for encouraging adoption of welfare-enhancing competition rules than it is to be a forum for abolishing cross-border measures. Developing countries should therefore give priority to using the WTO to improve market access-to further reduce direct barriers to trade in goods and services.
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard M. Hoekman & Petros C. Mavroidis, 1994.
"Competition, Competition Policy and the GATT,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 121-150, 03.
- Hoekman, Bernard M. & Mavroidis, Petros C. & DEC, 1993. "Competition, competition policy, and the GATT," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1228, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mavroidis, Petros C, 1994. "Competition, Competition Policy and the GATT," CEPR Discussion Papers 876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard Hoekman, 1997. "Competition Policy and the Global Trading System," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 383-406, 07.
- Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1998.
"Conditions of Competition and Multilateral Surveillance,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1109-1128, November.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1998. "Conditions of Competition and Multilateral Surveillance," CEPR Discussion Papers 1988, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter J. Lloyd, 1998. "Multilateral Rules for International Competition Law?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1129-1149, November.
- Keith Maskus, 1998. "The international regulation of intellectual property," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(2), pages 186-208, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:2211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.