Competition, competition policy, and the GATT
The authors argue that further moves to liberalize trade and to implement existing GATT rules and principles may have a greater impact on global competition than would the pursuit of harmonization of competition policy. They also suggest that current GATT rules and case law provide scope for disputes to be brought before the GATT that relate to both the application and the nonapplication of existing domestic competition laws of GATT contracting parties. This leads to de facto discrimination between domestic and foreign products. Little use has been made of the GATT in this connection. Perhaps existing indirect avenues for raising competition-related disputes in the GATT should be pursued more actively. This would help identify what specific government policies might be the subject of multilateral negotiations and explicitly incorporated into the GATT framework.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoekman, Bernard M, 1993. "New Issues in the Uruguay Round and Beyond," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(421), pages 1528-39, November.
- Auquier, A A & Caves, R E, 1979. "Monopolistic Export Industries, Trade Taxes, and Optimal Competition Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 559-81, September.
- Bernard Hoekman, 1992. "Market Access Through Multilateral Agreement: From Goods to Services," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 707-728, November.
- Hoekman, Bernard M. & Leidy, Michael P., 1992. "Cascading contingent protection," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 883-892, May.
- Patrick Messerlin, 1990. "The European Community," Working Papers hal-00972814, HAL.
- Alexis Jacquemin, 1993. "The International Dimension of European Competition Policy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 91-102, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:1228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.