Recent Challenges to the Classical Gains-from-Trade Proposition
The classical gains-from-trade conjecture was finally given a thorough Arrow-Debreu proof in 1972. Since then, the proposition has been repeatedly challenged. Some of the challenges rest on grounds which in no respect violate Arrow-Debreu assumptions. Those challenges are therefore without foundation. The remaining challenges rest on the assertion that some of the Arrow-Debreu assumptions are unnatural and unnecessarily restrictive or on the imposition of artificial restrictions on the set of permissible compensatory transfers. We conclude that none of the challenges can be sustained. Copyright Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishers Ltd 2002.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6485|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newbery, David M G & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Pareto Inferior Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Eliakim Katz & Moshe Syrquin & Lester C. Thurow, 1982. "The Failure of Psychic Income as a Source of Market Failure [with Reply]," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 4(4), pages 623-628, July.
- Grandmont, J. M. & McFadden, D., 1972. "A technical note on classical gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 109-125, May.
- CORDELLA, Tito & MINELLI, Enrico & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1993. "Trade and Welfare," CORE Discussion Papers 1993033, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kemp, Murray C & Wan, Henry Y, Jr, 1972. "The Gains from Free Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 509-22, October.
- Cordella, Tito & Ventura, Luigi, 1992.
"A note on redistributions and gains from trade,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 449-453, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:germec:v:3:y:2002:i:4:p:485-489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.