Efficiency and Bargaining Power in the Interbank Loan Market
Using detailed loan transactions-level data we examine the efficiency of an overnight interbank lending market, and the bargaining power of its participants. Our analysis relies on the equilibrium concept of the core, which imposes a set of no-arbitrage conditions on trades in the market. For Canada we show that while the market is fairly efficient, some degree of inefficiency persists throughout our sample. The level of inefficiency matches distinct phases of both the Bank of Canada’s operations as well as phases of the 2007- 2008 financial crisis, where more liquidity intervention implies more inefficiency. We find that bargaining power tilted sharply towards borrowers as the financial crisis progressed, and towards riskier borrowers. This supports a nuanced version of the Too- Big-To-Fail story, whereby participants continued to lend to riskier banks at favorable rates, not because of explicit support to the riskier banks provided by governmental authorities, but rather due to the collective self-interest of these banks.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2006.
"Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonso, 2010.
"Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds,"
2010 Meeting Papers
424, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gara Afonso & Ricardo Lagos, 2014. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," NBER Working Papers 20419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gara Afonso & Ricardo Lagos, 2012. "Trade dynamics in the market for federal funds," Staff Reports 549, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Afonso, Gara M. & Lagos, Ricardo, 2014. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," Working Papers 710, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonson, 2011. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," 2011 Meeting Papers 314, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Denis Gromb & Dimitri Vayanos, 2010. "Limits of Arbitrage," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 251-275, December.
- Bech, Morten L. & Chapman, James T.E. & Garratt, Rodney J., 2010. "Which bank is the "central" bank?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 352-363, April.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Darrell Duffie, 2007. "Systemic Illiquidity in the Federal Funds Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 221-225, May.
- Gara Afonso & Anna Kovner & Antoinette Schoar, 2010.
"Stressed, not frozen: the Federal Funds market in the financial crisis,"
437, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gara Afonso & Anna Kovner & Antoinette Schoar, 2011. "Stressed, Not Frozen: The Federal Funds Market in the Financial Crisis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(4), pages 1109-1139, 08.
- Acharya, Viral V & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2012.
"Precautionary hoarding of liquidity and inter-bank markets: Evidence from the sub-prime crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Interbank Markets: Evidence from the Subprime Crisis," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 107-160.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2010. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Inter-Bank Markets: Evidence from the Sub-prime Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Denis Gromb & Dimitri Vayanos, 2010.
"Limits of Arbitrage: The State of the Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
15821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin J Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2009.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
814577000000000225, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Becker, Gary S., 1985.
"Public policies, pressure groups, and dead weight costs,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 329-347, December.
- Gary S. Becker, 1984. "Public Policies, Pressure Groups, and Dead Weight Costs," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 35, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Saunders, Anthony, 1985. " A Micro Model of the Federal Funds Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 977-88, July.
- Scott Hendry & Nadja Kamhi, 2009. "Uncollateralized overnight lending in Canada," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(11), pages 869-880.
- Walter Engert & Toni Gravelle & Donna Howard, 2008. "The Implementation of Monetary Policy in Canada," Discussion Papers 08-9, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:12-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.