Efficiency and Bargaining Power in the Interbank Loan Market
Using detailed loan transactions-level data we examine the efficiency of an overnight interbank lending market, and the bargaining power of its participants. Our analysis relies on the equilibrium concept of the core, which imposes a set of no-arbitrage conditions on trades in the market. For Canada we show that while the market is fairly efficient, some degree of inefficiency persists throughout our sample. The level of inefficiency matches distinct phases of both the Bank of Canada’s operations as well as phases of the 2007- 2008 financial crisis, where more liquidity intervention implies more inefficiency. We find that bargaining power tilted sharply towards borrowers as the financial crisis progressed, and towards riskier borrowers. This supports a nuanced version of the Too- Big-To-Fail story, whereby participants continued to lend to riskier banks at favorable rates, not because of explicit support to the riskier banks provided by governmental authorities, but rather due to the collective self-interest of these banks.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2010.
"Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Inter-Bank Markets: Evidence from the Sub-prime Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
16395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viral V. Acharya & Ouarda Merrouche, 2013. "Precautionary Hoarding of Liquidity and Interbank Markets: Evidence from the Subprime Crisis," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 107-160.
- Acharya, Viral V & Merrouche, Ouarda, 2012. "Precautionary hoarding of liquidity and inter-bank markets: Evidence from the sub-prime crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 8859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Scott Hendry & Nadja Kamhi, 2009. "Uncollateralized overnight lending in Canada," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(11), pages 869-880.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonson, 2011.
"Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds,"
2011 Meeting Papers
314, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Afonso, Gara M. & Lagos, Ricardo, 2014. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," Working Papers 710, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gara Afonso & Ricardo Lagos, 2012. "Trade dynamics in the market for federal funds," Staff Reports 549, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonso, 2010. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," 2010 Meeting Papers 424, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gara Afonso & Ricardo Lagos, 2014. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," NBER Working Papers 20419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Denis Gromb, 2010.
"Limits of Arbitrage: The State of the Theory,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp650, Financial Markets Group.
- Gara Afonso & Anna Kovner & Antoinette Schoar, 2011.
"Stressed, Not Frozen: The Federal Funds Market in the Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(4), pages 1109-1139, 08.
- Gara Afonso & Anna Kovner & Antoinette Schoar, 2010. "Stressed, not frozen: the Federal Funds market in the financial crisis," Staff Reports 437, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Darrell Duffie, 2007. "Systemic Illiquidity in the Federal Funds Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 221-225, May.
- Walter Engert & Toni Gravelle & Donna Howard, 2008. "The Implementation of Monetary Policy in Canada," Discussion Papers 08-9, Bank of Canada.
- Becker, Gary S., 1985.
"Public policies, pressure groups, and dead weight costs,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 329-347, December.
- Gary S. Becker, 1984. "Public Policies, Pressure Groups, and Dead Weight Costs," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 35, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, June.
- Bech, Morten L. & Chapman, James T.E. & Garratt, Rodney J., 2010. "Which bank is the "central" bank?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 352-363, April.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Denis Gromb & Dimitri Vayanos, 2010. "Limits of Arbitrage," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 251-275, December.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2006.
"Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Saunders, Anthony, 1985. " A Micro Model of the Federal Funds Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 977-88, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:12-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.