The Market for OTC Derivatives
We develop a model of equilibrium entry, trade, and price formation in over-the- counter (OTC) markets. Banks trade derivatives to share an aggregate risk subject to two trading frictions: they must pay a fixed entry cost, and they must limit the size of the positions taken by their traders because of risk-management concerns. Although all banks in our model are endowed with access to the same trading technology, some large banks endogenously arise as "dealers," trading mainly to provide intermediation services, while medium sized banks endogenously participate as "customers" mainly to share risks. We use the model to address positive questions regarding the growth in OTC markets as trading frictions decline, and normative questions of how regulation of entry impacts welfare.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||AP EFG ME|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Duffie & Bruno Strulovici, 2011.
"Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
17296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darrell Duffie & Bruno Strulovici, 2009. "Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing," Discussion Papers 1478, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bruno Strulovici & Darrell Duffie, 2009. "Capital Mobility and Asset Pricing," 2009 Meeting Papers 87, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Shouyong Shi, 1996.
"A Divisible Search Model of Fiat Money,"
930, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Ana Babus & Péter Kondor, 2012.
"Trading and Information Diffusion in Over-the-Counter Markets,"
CEU Working Papers
2012_19, Department of Economics, Central European University, revised 09 Dec 2012.
- Peter Kondor & Ana Babus, 2013. "Trading and Information Diffusion in Over-the-Counter Markets," 2013 Meeting Papers 792, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Larry Eisenberg & Thomas H. Noe, 2001. "Systemic Risk in Financial Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 236-249, February.
- Darrell Duffie & Semyon Malamud & Gustavo Manso, 2009.
"Information Percolation With Equilibrium Search Dynamics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(5), pages 1513-1574, 09.
- Darrell DUFFIE & Semyon MALAMUD & Gustavo MANSO, . "Information Percolation with Equilibrium Search Dynamics," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-02, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Peña & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2010.
"Are all Credit Default Swap Databases Equal?,"
NBER Working Papers
16590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andolfatto, David, 1996. "Business Cycles and Labor-Market Search," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 112-32, March.
- Afonso, Gara, 2011.
"Liquidity and congestion,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 324-360, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:18912. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.