Adverse Selection and Liquidity Distortion in Decentralized Markets
This paper studies the competitive equilibrium outcome in decentralized asset markets when both search friction and adverse selection play roles. In a dynamic environment with heterogeneous sellers and buyers, I show how adverse selection leads to the downward distortion of equilibrium market liquidity. The model predicts a strong link between the market liquidity and the underlying uncertainty stemming from adverse selection and therefore provides an explanation for the existence of massive illiquidity. As our setup captures two important dimensions in the trading market, price and liquidity, it shows how price and liquidity are jointly determined as an equilibrium outcome and further sheds lights on market segmentation. The framework also allows for a richer analysis of how sorting pattern is determined in such an environment and how different market segmentation may arise when sellers' motives for sale are unknown to the market.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA|
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Randall Wright, 2002. "Competitive Pricing and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Douglas Gale, 1994.
"Equilibria and Pareto Optima of Markets with Adverse Selection,"
0046, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Douglas Gale, 1996. "Equilibria and Pareto optima of markets with adverse selection (*)," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 207-235.
- Gale, Douglas, 1996. "Equilibria and Pareto Optima of Markets with Adverse Selection," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 207-35, February.
- Vojislav Maksimovic, 2001.
"The Market for Corporate Assets: Who Engages in Mergers and Asset Sales and Are There Efficiency Gains?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2019-2065, December.
- Gordon M Phillips & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1999. "The Market for Corporate Assets: Who Engages in Mergers and Asset Sales and are there Efficiency Gains?," Working Papers 99-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Jan Eeckhout & Philipp Kircher, 2010.
"Sorting and decentralized price competition,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
29705, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2007.
"Liquidity in asset markets with search frictions,"
0706, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Shi, Shouyong, 2001. "Frictional Assignment. I. Efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 232-260, June.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Christian Bayer & Ruediger Bachmann, 2009.
"The Cross-section of Firms over the Business Cycle: New Facts and a DSGE Exploration,"
2009 Meeting Papers
866, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bachmann, Ruediger & Bayer, Christian, 2009. "The cross-section of firms over the business cycle: new facts and a DSGE exploration," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ruediger Bachmann & Christian Bayer, 2009. "The Cross-section of Firms over the Business Cycle: New Facts and a DSGE Exploration," CESifo Working Paper Series 2810, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nicholas Bloom, 2007.
"The Impact of Uncertainty Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
13385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moen, Espen R, 1997.
"Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 385-411, April.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2004.
"Liquidity Premia in Dynamic Bargaining Markets,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
648, Econometric Society.
- Toshihiko Mukoyama & Yoonsoo Lee, 2008.
"Entry, Exit, and Plant-level Dynamics over the Business Cycle,"
2008 Meeting Papers
454, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yoonsoo Lee & Toshihiko Mukoyama, 2008. "Entry, exit and plant-level dynamics over the business cycle," Working Paper 0718, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Yoonsoo Lee & Toshihiko Mukoyama, 2008. "Entry, Exit, and Plant-Level Dynamics over the Business Cycle," Working Papers 08-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Warusawitharana, Missaka, 2008. "Corporate asset purchases and sales: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 471-497, February.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer & Randall Wright, 2009.
"Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
14915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer & Randall Wright, 2010. "Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(6), pages 1823-1862, November.
- Robert Shimer & Randall Wright & Veronica Guerrieri, 2009. "Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium," 2009 Meeting Papers 139, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alessandro Gavazza, 2011.
"The Role of Trading Frictions in Real Asset Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1106-43, June.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "The role of trading frictions in real asset markets," MPRA Paper 25781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Douglas Gale, 1992. "A Walrasian Theory of Markets with Adverse Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 229-255.
- Thorsten V. Koeppl & Jonathan Chiu, 2010. "Market Freeze and Recovery: Trading Dynamics under Optimal Intervention by a Market-Maker-of-Last-Resort," 2010 Meeting Papers 78, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eisfeldt, Andrea L. & Rampini, Adriano A., 2006. "Capital reallocation and liquidity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 369-399, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.