Dynamic Adverse Selection: A Theory of Illiquidity, Fire Sales, and Flight to Quality
We develop a dynamic equilibrium model of asset markets with adverse selection. There exists a unique equilibrium in which better quality assets trade at higher prices but with a lower price-dividend ratio in less liquid markets. Sellers of high-quality assets signal quality by accepting a lower trading probability. We show how the distribution of sellers' private information affects an asset's price and liquidity, how a change in that distribution can cause a fire sale and a flight to quality, and how asset purchase and subsidy programs may raise prices and liquidity and reverse the flight to quality.
Volume (Year): 104 (2014)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aer/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Shimer & Randall Wright & Veronica Guerrieri, 2009.
"Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
2009 Meeting Papers
139, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer & Randall Wright, 2010. "Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(6), pages 1823-1862, November.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer & Randall Wright, 2009. "Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 14915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V.V. Chari & Ali Shourideh & Ariel Zetlin-Jones, 2010. "Adverse Selection, Reputation and Sudden Collapses in Secondary Loan Markets," NBER Working Papers 16080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Lester & Braz Camargo, 2011.
"Trading Dynamics in Decentralized Markets with Adverse Selection,"
2011 Meeting Papers
1300, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Camargo, Braz & Lester, Benjamin, 2014. "Trading dynamics in decentralized markets with adverse selection," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 534-568.
- Ben Lester & Braz Camargo, 2010. "Trading Dynamics in Decentralized Markets with Adverse Selection," 2010 Meeting Papers 488, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Braz Camargo & Benjamin Lester, 2011. "Trading dynamics in decentralized markets with adverse selection," Working Papers 11-36, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Briana Chang, 2011. "Adverse Selection and Liquidity Distortion in Decentralized Markets," Discussion Papers 1513, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2007.
"Collective Risk Management in a Flight to Quality Episode,"
NBER Working Papers
12896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2008. "Collective Risk Management in a Flight to Quality Episode," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2195-2230, October.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2008.
"Liquidity in asset markets with search frictions,"
408, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Briana Chang, 2011. "Adverse Selection and Liquidity Distortion in Decentralized Markets," 2011 Meeting Papers 157, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrea L. Eisfeldt, 2004. "Endogenous Liquidity in Asset Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 1-30, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:aecrev:v:104:y:2014:i:7:p:1875-1908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros)or (Michael P. Albert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.