Markets with Multidimensional Private Information
This paper explores price formation in environments with multidimensional private information. Asset sellers are informed both about their need to raise cash and about the quality of the asset they are selling. Asset buyers have rational expectations about the distribution of assets for sale at different prices. Any equilibrium with trade involves partial pooling: identical assets sell for different prices, depending on the seller's need to raise cash; while conversely different assets sell for the same price. Sellers who set a higher price are less likely to succeed at selling. We find a simple condition under which a continuum of such equilibria exist. This condition admits the possibility that some assets are intrinsically worthless, in which case there is also an equilibrium with no trade. In general, the set of equilibria depends on the joint distribution of seller and asset characteristics, and not just the support of that distribution.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea L. Eisfeldt, 2004. "Endogenous Liquidity in Asset Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 1-30, 02.
- Thorsten V. Koeppl & Jonathan Chiu, 2010. "Market Freeze and Recovery: Trading Dynamics under Optimal Intervention by a Market-Maker-of-Last-Resort," 2010 Meeting Papers 78, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer, 2012.
"Dynamic Adverse Selection: A Theory of Illiquidity, Fire Sales, and Flight to Quality,"
NBER Working Papers
17876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer, 2014. "Dynamic Adverse Selection: A Theory of Illiquidity, Fire Sales, and Flight to Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 104(7), pages 1875-1908, July.
- Thorsten Koeppl & Jonathan Chiu, 2013. "Trading Dynamics With Adverse Selection and Search," 2013 Meeting Papers 201, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Douglas Gale, 1996.
"Equilibria and Pareto optima of markets with adverse selection (*),"
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 207-235.
- Gale, Douglas, 1996. "Equilibria and Pareto Optima of Markets with Adverse Selection," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 207-35, February.
- Douglas Gale, 1994. "Equilibria and Pareto Optima of Markets with Adverse Selection," Papers 0046, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- V.V. Chari & Ali Shourideh & Ariel Zetlin-Jones, 2010. "Adverse Selection, Reputation and Sudden Collapses in Secondary Loan Markets," NBER Working Papers 16080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Briana Chang, 2012. "Adverse Selection and Liquidity Distortion in Decentralized Markets," 2012 Meeting Papers 403, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed013:210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.