We study how intermediation and asset prices in over-the-counter markets are affected by illiquidity associated with search and bargaining. We compute explicitly the prices at which investors trade with each other, as well as marketmakers' bid and ask prices, in a dynamic model with strategic agents. Bid-ask spreads are lower if investors can more easily find other investors or have easier access to multiple marketmakers. With a monopolistic marketmaker, bid-ask spreads are higher if investors have easier access to the marketmaker. We characterize endogenous search and welfare, and discuss empirical implications. Copyright The Econometric Society 2005.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 73 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.econometricsociety.org/publications/econometrica/access/ordering-back-issues Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vayanos, Dimitri & Wang, Tan, 2007.
"Search and endogenous concentration of liquidity in asset markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 66-104, September.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Tan Wang, 2004. "Search and endogenous concentration of liquidity in asset markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 455, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dmitrios Vayanos, 2004. "Search and Endogenous Concentration of Liquidity in Asset Markets," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 647, Econometric Society.
- Ho, Thomas & Stoll, Hans R., 1981.
"Optimal dealer pricing under transactions and return uncertainty,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 47-73, March.
- Thomas Ho & Hans Stoll, "undated". "Optimal Dealer Pricing Under Transactions and Return Uncertainty," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 27-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 1998.
"Transaction costs and asset prices : a dynamic equilibrium model,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
451, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Vayanos, Dimitri, 1998. "Transaction Costs and Asset Prices: A Dynamic Equilibrium Model," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 1-58.
- Thomas Gehrig, 1993.
"Intermediation in Search Markets,"
1058, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- P. Diamond, 1980.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
268, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, Bargaining, Money, and Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 118-141, February.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1982. "Property Rights and Efficiency in Mating, Racing, and Related Games," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 968-979, December.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986.
"Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-862, August.
- Harris, Milton, 1979. "Expectations and Money in a Dynamic Exchange Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1403-1419, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007.
"Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(6), pages 1865-1900, November.
- Duffie, Darrell & Garleanu, Nicolae Bogdan & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2006. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 5491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Darrell Duffie & Nicolae Garleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2006. "Valuation in Over-the-Counter Markets," NBER Working Papers 12020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weill, Pierre-Olivier, 2008.
"Liquidity premia in dynamic bargaining markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 66-96, May.
- Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2004. "Liquidity Premia in Dynamic Bargaining Markets," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 648, Econometric Society.
- Gale, Douglas, 1987.
"Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 20-54, October.
- Douglas Gale, 2010. "Limit theorems for markets with sequential bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 621, David K. Levine.
- Marco Pagano, 1989.
"Trading Volume and Asset Liquidity,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 255-274.
- Bester, Helmut, 1989. "Noncooperative Bargaining and Spatial Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 97-113, January.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- Arthur J. Hosios, 1990. "On The Efficiency of Matching and Related Models of Search and Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(2), pages 279-298.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1993. "A Search-Theoretic Approach to Monetary Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 63-77, March.
- Moen, Espen R, 1997.
"Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 385-411, April.
- McLennan, Andrew & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1991. "Sequential Bargaining as a Noncooperative Foundation for Walrasian Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1395-1424, September.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Schnitzlein, Charles R, 1997. " When It's Not the Only Game in Town: The Effect of Bilateral Search on the Quality of a Dealer Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 683-712, June.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part II: Existence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 807-818, July.
- Huang, Roger D. & Stoll, Hans R., 1996. "Dealer versus auction markets: A paired comparison of execution costs on NASDAQ and the NYSE," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 313-357, July.
- Garman, Mark B., 1976. "Market microstructure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 257-275, June.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-1335, November.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Wolinsky, Asher, 1985.
"Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1133-1150, September.
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 623, David K. Levine.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Peter deMarzo & Michael Fishman & Kathleen M. Hagerty, 2000. "The Enforcement Policy of a Self-Regulatory Organization," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1636, Econometric Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:emetrp:v:73:y:2005:i:6:p:1815-1847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.