How to measure the unsecured money market? The Eurosystemï¿½s implementation and validation using TARGET2 data
This paper develops a methodology, based on Furfine (1999), for identifying unsecured interbank money market loans from the transaction data of the most important euro payment processing system TARGET2, for maturities ranging from one day (overnight) up to three months. The implementation has been verified with (i) interbank money market transactions executed on the e-MID Italian electronic trading platform and (ii) aggregated reporting by the EONIA panel banks. The Type2 (false negative) error for the best performing algorithm setup is 0.92%. We find aggregated interest rates very close to the EONIA but observe a high degree of heterogeneity across countries and market participants. The different stages of the global financial crisis and of the sovereign debt crises are clearly revealed in the interbank money market by significant drops in turnover. The results focus on three levels: euro-area, country group and country (Italy and the Netherlands).
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monticini, Andrea & Ravazzolo, Francesco, 2014. "Forecasting the intraday market price of money," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 304-315.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009.
"Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads : The Role of Counterparty Risk,"
2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," Working Paper Series 1126, European Central Bank.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ronald Heijmans & Richard Heuver & Daniëlle Walraven, 2011. "Monitoring the unsecured interbank money market using TARGET2 data," DNB Working Papers 276, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van Riet, Ad, 2010. "Euro area fiscal policies and the crisis," Occasional Paper Series 109, European Central Bank.
- Olivier Armantier & Adam Copeland, 2012. "Assessing the quality of “Furfine-based” algorithms," Staff Reports 575, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Scott Hendry & Nadja Kamhi, 2007. "Uncollateralized Overnight Loans Settled in LVTS," Staff Working Papers 07-11, Bank of Canada. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_215_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.