Interbank overnight interest rates - gains from systemic importance
We study overnight interbank interest rates paid by banks in Norway over the period 2006-2009. We observe large variations in interest rates across banks and over time. During the financial crisis, the interest rates are found to be substantially below indicative quotes of interest rates provided by major banks. Our econometric model attributes the interest rate variation partly to differences in banks' characteristics including relative size and connectedness, implying favorable terms for banks of systemic importance. Moreover, interest rates are found to depend not only on overall liquidity in the interbank market, but possibly on its distribution among banks as well, suggesting exploitation of market power by banks with surplus liquidity. There is also evidence of stronger effects on interest rates of systemic importance, credit ratings and liquidity demand and supply since the start of the current financial crisis.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postboks 1179 Sentrum, 0107 Oslo|
Phone: +47 22 31 60 00
Fax: +47 22 41 31 05
Web page: http://www.norges-bank.no/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morten L. Bech & Enghin Atalay, 2008.
"The topology of the federal funds market,"
354, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bech, Morten L. & Atalay, Enghin, 2010. "The topology of the federal funds market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5223-5246.
- Kjell G. Nyborg, 2004.
"Multiple Unit Auctions and Short Squeezes,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 545-580.
- McAndrews, James J. & Sarkar, Asani & Wang, Zhenyu, 2008. "The effect of the Term Auction Facility on the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate," Staff Reports 335, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Sep 2015.
- Dieter Nautz & Jan Scheithauer, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Implementation and Overnight Rate Persistence,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2009-053, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Nautz, Dieter & Scheithauer, Jan, 2011. "Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1375-1386.
- Nautz, Dieter & Scheithauer, Jan, 2010. "Monetary policy implementation and overnight rate persistence," Discussion Papers 2010/26, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2005.
"Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations,"
2005/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9878h0kn, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ulrich Bindseil & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Working Papers 2005.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A. & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002. "Bidding and performance in repo auctions: evidence from ECB open market operations," Working Paper Series 0157, European Central Bank.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- John C. Williams & John B. Taylor, 2009.
"A Black Swan in the Money Market,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 58-83, January.
- Akram, Q. Farooq & Rime, Dagfinn & Sarno, Lucio, 2009.
"Does the law of one price hold in international financial markets? Evidence from tick data,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1741-1754, October.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Dagfinn Rime & Lucio Sarno, 2008. "Does the law of one price hold in international financial markets? Evidence from tick data," Working Paper 2008/19, Norges Bank.
- Ballester, Coralio & Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Zenou, Yves, 2005.
"Who’s Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvó-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2004. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: The Key Player," Working Papers 178, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Coralio Ballester & Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Yves Zenou, 2005. "Who's Who in Networks. Wanted: the Key Player," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 666156000000000586, www.najecon.org.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996.
"Interbank lending and systemic risk,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Falko FECHT & Kjell G. NYBORG & Jörg ROCHOLL, 2010.
"The Price of Liquidity: Bank Characteristics and Market Conditions,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
10-20, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Falko Fecht & Kjell G. Nyborg & Jörg Rocholl, 2009. "The Price of Liquidity: Bank Characteristics and Market Conditions," CESifo Working Paper Series 2576, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G & Rocholl, Jörg, 2010. "The Price of Liquidity: Bank Characteristics and Market Conditions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7794, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fecht, Falko & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Rocholl, Jörg, 2008. "The price of liquidity: bank characteristics and market conditions," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,30, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bno:worpap:2010_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.