Valuing environmental assets on rural lifestyle properties
Changing land-ownership patterns transform many rural landscapes from agricultural to multifunctional, which may have significant implications for land management and conservation policy. This paper presents a hedonic pricing model that quantifies the value of the remnant native vegetation captured by owners of rural lifestyle properties in rural Victoria, Australia. Remnant native vegetation has a positive but diminishing marginal implicit price. The value of lifestyle properties is maximized when their proportion of area occupied by native vegetation is about 40%. Most lifestyle landowners would receive benefits from increasing the area of native vegetation on their land. Findings from this study will be used to support decisions about ecological restoration on private lands in fragmented agriculture-dominated landscapes.
|Date of creation:||25 Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009|
Phone: (61) (8) 6488 1757
Fax: (61) (8) 6488 1098
Web page: http://www.are.uwa.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vincent E. Breneman & Richard F. Nehring, 2006. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 915-929.
- David L. Chicoine, 1981. "Farmland Values at the Urban Fringe: An Analysis of Sale Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 353-362.
- Nicholas Gill & Peter Klepeis & Laurie Chisholm, 2010. "Stewardship among lifestyle oriented rural landowners," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(3), pages 317-334.
- Polyakov, Maksym & Pannell, David J. & Rowles, Alexei & Park, Geoff & Roberts, Anna M., 2011. "Optimising the spatial pattern of landscape revegetation," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 100697, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Pannell, David J. & Wilkinson, Roger, 2009. "Policy mechanism choice for environmental management by non-commercial "lifestyle" rural landholders," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2679-2687, August.
- Geoffrey H. Donovan & Patricia A. Champ & David T. Butry, 2007. "Wildfire Risk and Housing Prices: A Case Study from Colorado Springs," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 83(2), pages 217-233.
- Bastian, Chris T. & McLeod, Donald M. & Germino, Matthew J. & Reiners, William A. & Blasko, Benedict J., 2002. "Environmental amenities and agricultural land values: a hedonic model using geographic information systems data," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-349, March.
- Torell, L. Allen & Rimbey, Neil R. & Ramirez, Octavio A. & McCollum, Daniel W., 2005. "Income Earning Potential versus Consumptive Amenities in Determining Ranchland Values," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(03), December.
- Polyakov, Maksym & Zhang, Daowei, 2008. "Population Growth and Land Use Dynamics along Urbanâ€“Rural Gradient," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(02), August.
- Piras, Gianfranco, 2010. "sphet: Spatial Models with Heteroskedastic Innovations in R," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 35(i01).
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2010.
"Specification and estimation of spatial autoregressive models with autoregressive and heteroskedastic disturbances,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 53-67, July.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 2008. "Specification and Estimation of Spatial Autoregressive Models with Autoregressive and Heteroskedastic Disturbances," CESifo Working Paper Series 2448, CESifo Group Munich.
- Elena G. Irwin, 2002. "The Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 465-480.
- David J. Pannell, 2008. "Public Benefits, Private Benefits, and Policy Mechanism Choice for Land-Use Change for Environmental Benefits," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(2), pages 225-240.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Sengupta, Sanchita & Osgood, Daniel Edward, 2003. "The value of remoteness: a hedonic estimation of ranchette prices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 91-103, February.
- David Maddison, 2009. "A Spatio-temporal Model of Farmland Values," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 171-189.
- Yong Tu & Hua Sun & Shi-Ming Yu, 2007. "Spatial Autocorrelations and Urban Housing Market Segmentation," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 385-406, April.
- Geoghegan, Jacqueline & Wainger, Lisa A. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 1997. "Spatial landscape indices in a hedonic framework: an ecological economics analysis using GIS," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 251-264, December.
- Maksym Polyakov & Daowei Zhang, 2008. "Property Tax Policy and Land-Use Change," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 396-408.
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
- Ma, Shan & Swinton, Scott M., 2011. "Valuation of ecosystem services from rural landscapes using agricultural land prices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1649-1659, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uwauwp:126941. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.