Property Tax Policy and Land-Use Change
In this study, we analyze the effect of property taxes on changes between agricultural, forestry, Conservation Reserve Program, and developed land uses in Louisiana. We estimate a random parameters logit model of land-use conversion from the National Resources Inventory plot data. Our results indicate that land-use changes are inelastic with respect to property taxes. Simulation shows that current use valuation policy, while slowing down development of rural lands, also affects changes between rural land uses.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nagubadi, Rao V. & Zhang, Daowei, 2005. "Determinants of Timberland Use by Ownership and Forest Type in Alabama and Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Parks P. J. & Kramer R. A., 1995. "A Policy Simulation of the Wetlands Reserve Program," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 223-240, March.
- Gerald Nelson & Alessandro De Pinto & Virginia Harris & Steven Stone, 2004. "Land Use and Road Improvements: A Spatial Perspective," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 27(3), pages 297-325, July.
- Ian W. Hardie & Peter J. Parks, 1997. "Land Use with Heterogeneous Land Quality: An Application of an Area Base Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 299-310.
- Parks, Peter J. & Quimio, Wilma Rose H., 1996. "Preserving Agricultural Land With Farmland Assessment: New Jersey As A Case Study," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(1), April.
- Stavins, Robert N & Jaffe, Adam B, 1990. "Unintended Impacts of Public Investments on Private Decisions: The Depletion of Forested Wetlands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 337-352, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:84:y:2008:i:3:p:396-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.