Import Demand for Disaggregated Fresh Fruits in Japan
Using annual Japanese fresh fruit import data from 1971-1997, this study analyzes the import patterns of Japan's seven most popular fresh fruits by implementing and testing a general differential demand system that nests four alternative import demand specifications. When tested against the general system using the five-good case (bananas, grapefruits, oranges, and lemons and aggregating pineapples, berries, and grapes), the analysis rejects the AIDS and NBR specifications, but does not reject Rotterdam and CBS. When estimated using the six-good case (bananas, grapefruits, oranges, lemons, pineapples, and aggregating berries and grapes), the analysis rejects all specifications except the Rotterdam model.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iatpc.ifas.ufl.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laitinen, Kenneth, 1978. "Why is demand homogeneity so often rejected?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 187-191.
- Jonq-Ying Lee & James L. Seale & Pattana A. Jierwiriyapant, 1990. "Do trade agreements help US exports? A study of the Japanese citrus industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(5), pages 505-514.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Selvanathan, Antony & Selvanathan, Saroja, 1996.
"Applied Demand Analysis: A Survey,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(216), pages 63-81, March.
- K.W. Clements & E.A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 1996. "Applied Demand Analysis: A survey," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 96-04, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Sparks, Amy L. & Buxton, Boyd M., 1992. "A Rotterdam Application To International Trade In Fresh Apples: A Differential Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Meisner, James F., 1979. "The sad fate of the asymptotic Slutsky symmetry test for large systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-233.
- K.W. Clements & E.A. Selvanathan, 1986. "Alcohol Consumption," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 86-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)