U.S. Food and Nutrient Demand and the Effects of Agricultural Policies
An econometric model of annual per capita U.S. food and nutrition demand is developed. The model is a flexible, full rank two Gorman polar form. It is strictly aggregable across income, demographic variables, and variations in micro preference parameters. Parametric conditions for global quasi-concavity of the (quasi-)utility function are derived. The model is implemented with annual time series data on U.S. per capita food consumption for the sample period 1918-1994. A battery of new test statistics are developed for and applied to the following hypotheses: (1) strict exogeneity of income or total expenditures; (2) global symmetry and negative semidefiniteness of the Slutsky substitution matrix; (3) parameter stability in a multivariate, nonlinear regression model based on within sample residuals; and (4) weak separability of food items from all other goods in the representative consumer's preference function. The empirical results are very encouraging with respect to the strictures of economic theory, heretofore a virtually unheard of outcome. The model is used to analyze the food and nutrient consumption and consumer welfare impacts of the U.S. dairy program.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (510) 642-3345
Fax: (510) 643-8911
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/are_ucb/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, De-Min, 1973. "Alternative Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Regressors and Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 733-50, July.
- Barnett, William A, 1977.
"Pollak and Wachter on the Household Production Function Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 1073-82, October.
- William A. Barnett, 1978. "Pollak and Wachter on the household production function approach," Special Studies Papers 109, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Pollak, Robert A & Wachter, Michael L, 1975. "The Relevance of the Household Production Function and Its Implications for the Allocation of Time," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 255-77, April.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & Harry D. Gorter, 1985. "Regulation in a Dynamic Market: The U.S. Dairy Industry," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-34, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521296762 is not listed on IDEAS
- Howe, Howard & Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1979. "Theory and Time Series Estimation of the Quadratic Expenditure System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1231-47, September.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- van Daal, Jan & Merkies, Arnold H Q M, 1989. "A Note on the Quadratic Expenditure Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1439-43, November.
- Laitinen, Kenneth, 1978. "Why is demand homogeneity so often rejected?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 187-191.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1982. "Integrability of Incomplete Systems of Demand Functions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 411-25, July.
- Pudney, Steven E, 1981. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of a Characteristics Model of Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 417-33, July.
- Attfield, Clifford L. F., 1985. "Homogeneity and endogeneity in systems of demand equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 197-209, February.
- Ippolito, Richard A & Masson, Robert T, 1978. "The Social Cost of Government Regulation of Milk," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 33-65, April.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Jamison, John A., 1971. "Marketing Orders and Public Policy for the Fruit and Vegetable Industries," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 03.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter, 1992. "The CUSUM Test with OLS Residuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 271-85, March.
- Lluch, Constantino, 1973. "The extended linear expenditure system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 21-32, April.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1989. "The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195058703, March.
- Leathers, Howard D., 1979. "A Primer On Nutrition Policy In The United States," Staff Papers 13268, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David & Moloney, David, 1984. "Consumer's Surplus and Welfare Change in a Simple Dynamic Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 171-76, January.
- Lucas, Robert E B, 1975. "Hedonic Price Functions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(2), pages 157-78, June.
- Meisner, James F., 1979. "The sad fate of the asymptotic Slutsky symmetry test for large systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-233.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1981. "Demographic Variables in Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1533-51, November.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Empirical Approaches to the Problem of Aggregation Over Individuals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1827-74, December.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-21, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x, June.
- Edgerton, David L., 1993. "On The Estimation Of Separable Demand Models," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:agrebk:qt52h9v4dq. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.