The demand for Food in South Africa
Food consumption is an important issue in South Africa, not only in its relation to poverty and deprivation, but also given the importance of nutrition in allowing HIV/AIDS sufferers to lead extended, productive lives. With the pressing need to increase food security and the enormity of the epidemic, understanding the demand for food has become a vital task. It is important that the determinants of the demand for food are understood, so that responses of household food consumption to changes in the prices of foodstuffs, prices of other commodities, and total expenditure can be anticipated. There is, however, surprisingly little economic research on this topic. This paper provides an empirical analysis of the demand for food in South Africa for the years 1970 to 2002. It uses two modelling approaches, a general dynamic log-linear demand equation and a dynamic version of the almost ideal demand system to provide estimates of the short- and long-run price and expenditure demand elasticities.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0117 328 3610|
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dunne, J. P. & Smith, R. P., 1983. "The allocative efficiency of government expenditure: Some comparative tests," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 381-394, January.
- EA Selvanathan & Saroja Selvanathan, 2003. "Consumer Demand in South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 71(2), pages 170-181, 06.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Katranidis, Stelios D. & Velentzas, K., 2000.
"An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(1), January.
- Karagiannis, G. & Katranidis, S. & Velentzas, K., 2000. "An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 29-35, January.
- Agbola, Frank W. & Maitra, Pushkar & McLaren, Keith Robert, 2003. "On The Estimation Of Demand Systems With Large Number Of Goods: An Application To South Africa Household Food Demand," 2003 Annual Conference, October 2-3, 2003, Pretoria, South Africa 19097, Agricultural Economic Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- E. Contogiannis, 1982. "Consumer Demand Functions in South Africa: An Application of the Houthakker and Taylor Model," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 50(2), pages 81-89, 06.
- Taljaard, Pieter R. & Alemu, Zerihun Gudeta & van Schalkwyk, Herman D., 2004. "The demand for meat in South Africa: An almost ideal estimation," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 43(4), December.
- Dunne, John Paul & Pashardes, Panos & Smith, Ronald P, 1984. "Needs, Costs and Bureaucracy: The Allocation of Public Consumption in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 1-15, March.
- Anderson, G J & Blundell, R W, 1982. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Dynamic Singular Equation Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1559-1571, November.
- John Eakins & Liam Gallagher, 2003. "Dynamic almost ideal demand systems: an empirical analysis of alcohol expenditure in Ireland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1025-1036.
- Smith, R P, 1989. "Models of Military Expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(4), pages 345-359, Oct.-Dec..
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1999. "U.S. Food and Nutrient Demand and the Effects of Agricultural Policies," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt52h9v4dq, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1999. "An Econometric Model of the Demand for Food and Nutrition," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt2z5516c2, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Clifton B. Luttrell, 1973. "The Russian wheat deal-hindsight vs. foresight," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Oct, pages 2-9.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:9955 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Magnus, Jan R & Morgan, Mary S, 1997. "Design of the Experiment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 459-465, Sept.-Oct.
- Keller, W.J. & Van Driel, J., 1985. "Differential consumer demand systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 375-390.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Magnus, Jan R & Morgan, Mary S, 1997. "The Data: A Brief Description," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 651-661, Sept.-Oct. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:0509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.