Dynamic almost ideal demand systems: an empirical analysis of alcohol expenditure in Ireland
This paper presents a dynamic form of the Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS). Three versions of the static AIDS model are employed to determine the preferred long-run equilibrium model and represents the short-run dynamics by an error correction mechanism. This estimation procedure is then applied to alcohol expenditure in Ireland. The estimated point elasticities are consistent with previous studies and a priori expectations. Beer and spirits are found to be price inelastic in both the short and long run. While wine is price inelastic in the short run and price elastic in the long run.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Andrikopoulos & James Brox & Emanuel Carvalho, 1997. "The demand for domestic and imported alcoholic beverages in Ontario, Canada: a dynamic simultaneous equation approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(7), pages 945-953.
- repec:ubc:bricol:92-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- K.W. Clements & L.W. Johnson, 1982.
"The Demand for Beer, Wine and Spirits: A system-wide analysis,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
82-12, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Johnson, Lester W, 1983. "The Demand for Beer, Wine, and Spirits: A Systemwide Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 273-304, July.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- K.W. Clements & E.A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 1996.
"Applied Demand Analysis: A survey,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
96-04, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Johnson, James A, et al, 1992. "Short-Run and Long-Run Elasticities for Canadian Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages: An Error-Correction Mechanism/Cointegration Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 64-74, February.
- Karagiannis, Giannis & Katranidis, Stelios D. & Velentzas, K., 2000.
"An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(1), pages -, January.
- Karagiannis, G. & Katranidis, S. & Velentzas, K., 2000. "An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 29-35, January.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Jones, Andrew M, 1989. "A Systems Approach to the Demand for Alcohol and Tobacco," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 85-105, April.
- David Blake & Angelika Nied, 1997. "The demand for alcohol in the United Kingdom," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1655-1672.
- Conniffe, Denis & McCoy, Daniel, 1993. "Alcohol Use in Ireland: Some Economic and Social Implications," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS160.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:9:p:1025-1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.