Dynamic almost ideal demand systems: an empirical analysis of alcohol expenditure in Ireland
This paper presents a dynamic form of the Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS). Three versions of the static AIDS model are employed to determine the preferred long-run equilibrium model and represents the short-run dynamics by an error correction mechanism. This estimation procedure is then applied to alcohol expenditure in Ireland. The estimated point elasticities are consistent with previous studies and a priori expectations. Beer and spirits are found to be price inelastic in both the short and long run. While wine is price inelastic in the short run and price elastic in the long run.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conniffe, Denis & McCoy, Daniel, 1993. "Alcohol Use in Ireland: Some Economic and Social Implications," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS160.
- Jones, Andrew M, 1989. "A Systems Approach to the Demand for Alcohol and Tobacco," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 85-105, April.
- K.W. Clements & E.A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 1996.
"Applied Demand Analysis: A survey,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
96-04, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- repec:ubc:bricol:92-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Clements, Kenneth W & Johnson, Lester W, 1983.
"The Demand for Beer, Wine, and Spirits: A Systemwide Analysis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 56(3), pages 273-304, July.
- K.W. Clements & L.W. Johnson, 1982. "The Demand for Beer, Wine and Spirits: A system-wide analysis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 82-12, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Karagiannis, G. & Katranidis, S. & Velentzas, K., 2000. "An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 22(1), January.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Johnson, James A, et al, 1992. "Short-Run and Long-Run Elasticities for Canadian Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages: An Error-Correction Mechanism/Cointegration Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 64-74, February.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- David Blake & Angelika Nied, 1997. "The demand for alcohol in the United Kingdom," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1655-1672.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Andreas Andrikopoulos & James Brox & Emanuel Carvalho, 1997. "The demand for domestic and imported alcoholic beverages in Ontario, Canada: a dynamic simultaneous equation approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(7), pages 945-953.
- Karagiannis, G. & Katranidis, S. & Velentzas, K., 2000. "An error correction almost ideal demand system for meat in Greece," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 29-35, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:9:p:1025-1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.