Firm-Level Evidence Of Deadweight Loss Of Investment Support Policies: A Case Study Of Dairy Farms In Schleswig-Holstein
The main objective of the present study is to estimate the extent to which the RDP investment support has a complementary or a substitutionary effect on farm investments. In order to answer this question, we attempt to quantify the potential deadweight loss by estimating the extent to which the RDP beneficiaries would have undertaken comparable investments also without the investment support. We find that the deadweight loss of the RDP is close to 100%, implying that firm investment would have been undertaken also without the support. These results suggest that capital market distortions are not significant in Schleswig- Holstein. Similarly, no evidence was found that, due to programme support, farms would have brought forward their investments planned originally in a later period, suggesting no evidence of inter-temporal substitution of investments. These results are new, as the deadweight loss and its conditionality have not been studied in the context of the RDP in Germany before.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://iatrcweb.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Harris & Mary Trainor, 2005. "Capital Subsidies and their Impact on Total Factor Productivity: Firm-Level Evidence from Northern Ireland," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 49-74.
- Marco Caliendo & Reinhard Hujer, 2006.
"The microeconometric estimation of treatment effects—An overview,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 90(1), pages 199-215, March.
- Caliendo, Marco & Hujer, Reinhard, 2005. "The Microeconometric Estimation of Treatment Effects - An Overview," IZA Discussion Papers 1653, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Adda, Jérôme & Cooper, Russell W., 1997.
"Balladurette and jupette: a discrete analysis of scrapping subsidies,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Jerome Adda & Russell Cooper, 2000. "Balladurette and Juppette: A Discrete Analysis of Scrapping Subsidies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 778-806, August.
- Jerome Adda & Russell Cooper, 1997. "Balladurette and Juppette: A Discrete Analysis of Scrapping Subsidies," Papers 0076, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Jerome Adda & Russell Cooper, 1997. "Balladurette and Juppette: A Discrete Analysis of Scrapping Subsidies," NBER Working Papers 6048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Sascha O. & Caliendo, Marco, 2007.
"mhbounds – Sensitivity Analysis for Average Treatment Effects,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2542, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sascha O. Becker & Marco Caliendo, 2007. "Sensitivity analysis for average treatment effects," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(1), pages 71-83, February.
- Sascha O. Becker & Marco Caliendo, 2007. "mhbounds - Sensitivity Analysis for Average Treatment Effects," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 659, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dan A. Black & Jeffrey Smith, 2003.
"How Robust is the Evidence on the Effects of College Quality? Evidence From Matching,"
University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers
20033, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Black, Dan A. & Smith, J.A.Jeffrey A., 2004. "How robust is the evidence on the effects of college quality? Evidence from matching," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 99-124.
- Alasdair Rae, 2010. "Urban and Regional Policy and Its Effects (Volume 2)," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 665-667, April.
- Zhao, Zhong, 2005.
"Sensitivity of Propensity Score Methods to the Specifications,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1873, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zhao, Zhong, 2008. "Sensitivity of propensity score methods to the specifications," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 309-319, March.
- Gianfranco E. Atzeni & Oliviero A. Carboni, 2006. "The Effects of Subsidies on Investment: an Empirical Evaluation on ICT in Italy," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 279-302.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005.
"Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Todd M. Gabe & David S. Kraybill, 2002. "The Effect of State Economic Development Incentives on Employment Growth of Establishments," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 703-730.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- S. Blancard & J.Ph. Boussemart & W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2006. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Post-Print hal-00211159, HAL.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Working Papers 2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Auerbach, Alan J & Hines, James R, Jr, 1988.
"Investment Tax Incentives and Frequent Tax Reforms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 211-16, May.
- Alan J. Auerbach & James R. Hines Jr., 1988. "Investment Tax Incentives and Frequent Tax Reforms," NBER Working Papers 2492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, A.J. & Hines, Jr.J.R., 1988. "Investment Tax Incentives And Frequent Tax Reforms," Papers 135, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Mika Haapanen & Anu Tokila & Jari Ritsilä, 2005. "When are investment subsidies crucial for investments?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p466, European Regional Science Association.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Duch, Néstor & Montolio, Daniel & Mediavilla , Mauro, 2009. "Evaluating the impact of public subsidies on a firm’s performance: a two-stage quasi-experimental approach," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 16, pages 143-165.
- Luigi Cannari & Leandro D'Aurizio & Guido de Blasio, 2006.
"The effectiveness of investment subsidies: evidence from survey data,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
4, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cannari Luigi & D'Aurizio Leandro & de Blasio Guido, 2007. "The Effectiveness of Investment Subsidies: Evidence from Survey Data," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 329-346.
- Bernini, Cristina & Pellegrini, Guido, 2011. "How are growth and productivity in private firms affected by public subsidy? Evidence from a regional policy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 253-265, May.
- Kirchweger, Stefan & Kantelhardt, Jochen, 2012. "Improving Farm Competitiveness through Farm-Investment Support: a Propensity Score Matching Approach," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135791, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lee, Jong-Wha, 1996. "Government Interventions and Productivity Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 391-414, September.
- Ortner, Karl M., 9. "Evaluation of investment support in rural development programmes: results for selected measures," Rural Areas and Development, European Rural Development Network, vol. 9.
- Ratinger, Tomas & Medonos, Tomas & Spicka, Jindrich & Hruska, Martin & Vilhelm, Vaclav, 2012. "The assessment of the effects of investment support measures of the Rural Development Programmes: the case of the Czech Republic," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135775, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Medonos, Tomas & Ratinger, Tomas & Hruska, Martin & Spicka, Jindrich, 2012. "The Assessment of the Effects of Investment Support Measures of the Rural Development Programmes: the Case of the Czech Republic," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 4(4), December.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1982. "Dynamic effects of permanent and temporary tax policies in a q model of investment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 353-373.
- Gadd, Håkan & Hansson, Gustav & Månsson, Jonas, 2008. "Evaluating the impact of firm subsidy using a multilevel propensity score approach," CAFO Working Papers 2009:3, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Salvioni, Cristina & Sciulli, Dario, 2011. "Farm level impact of rural development policy: a conditional difference in difference matching approach," 122nd Seminar, February 17-18, 2011, Ancona, Italy 99421, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iatr13:152257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.