Microfinance for agricultural firms - What can we learn from bank data?
Using a unique dataset of a commercial microfinance institution (MFI) in Tanzania this paper investigates first whether agricultural firms have a different probability to get a loan and whether their loans are differently volume rationed than loans to non-agricultural firms. Second, we analyze whether agricultural firms repay their loans with different delinquencies than non-agricultural firms. Our results reveal that agricultural firms face higher obstacles to get credit but as soon as they have access to credit, their loans are not differently volume rationed than those of non-agricultural firms. Furthermore, agricultural firms are less often delinquent when paying back their loans than non-agricultural firms. Our findings suggest that a higher risk exposition typically attributed to agricultural production must not necessarily lead to higher credit risk. They also show that the investigated MFI overestimates the credit risk of agricultural clients and, hence, should reconsider its risk assessment practice to be able to increase lending to the agricultural sector. In addition, our results might indicate that farmers qualify less often for a loan as they do not fit into the standard microcredit product.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franklin Simtowe & Aliou Diagne & Manfred Zeller, 2008. "Who is credit constrained? evidence from rural Malawi," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 68(2), pages 255-272, September.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz & Anton Malesich, 2006.
"Default Rates in the Loan Market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp854, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hainz, Christa, 2010. "Default rates in the loan market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz, 2009. "Default Rates in the Loan Market for SMEs:Evidence from Slovakia," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 72, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Uthra K. Raghunathan & Cesar L. Escalante & Jeffrey H. Dorfman & Glenn C. W. Ames & Jack E. Houston, 2011. "The effect of agriculture on repayment efficiency: a look at MFI borrowing groups," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(4), pages 465-474, 07.
- Valentina M. Hartarska & Martin Holtmann, 2006. "An overview of recent developments in the microfinance literature," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 66(2), pages 147-165, September.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "Credit to Women Entrepreneurs: The Curse of the Trustworthier Sex," Working Papers CEB 11-005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Binswanger, Hans P, 1993.
"Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(416), pages 56-78, January.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1989. "Wealth, Weather Risk and the Composition and Profitability of Agricultural Investments," Bulletins 7455, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1992. "Wealth, weather risk, and the composition and profitability of agricultural investments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1055, The World Bank.
- Martin Petrick, 2004. "A microeconometric analysis of credit rationing in the Polish farm sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 77-101, March.
- Foltz, Jeremy D., 2004. "Credit market access and profitability in Tunisian agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 229-240, May.
- Paxson, Christina H, 1992. "Using Weather Variability to Estimate the Response of Savings to Transitory Income in Thailand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 15-33, March.
- D'Espallier, Bert & Guérin, Isabelle & Mersland, Roy, 2011. "Women and Repayment in Microfinance: A Global Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 758-772, May.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Glenn D. Pederson & Lyubov Zech, 2009. "Assessing Credit Risk in an Agricultural Loan Portfolio," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 57(2), pages 169-185, 06.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2001.
"Small business credit availability and relationship lending: the importance of bank organizational structure,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 2002. "Small Business Credit Availability and Relationship Lending: The Importance of Bank Organisational Structure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F32-F53, February.
- Beatriz Armendáriz & Jonathan Morduch, 2010.
"The Economics of Microfinance, Second Edition,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262513986, June.
- Jaclyn D. Kropp & Calum G. Turvey & David R. Just & Rong Kong & Pei Guo, 2009. "Are the poor really more trustworthy? A micro-lending experiment," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(1), pages 67-87, May.
- Jessica Schicks, 2013.
"The Sacrifices of Micro-Borrowers in Ghana -- A Customer-Protection Perspective on Measuring Over-Indebtedness,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(9), pages 1238-1255, September.
- Jessica Schicks, 2012. "The sacrifices of microborrowers in Ghana – A customer-protection perspective on measuring over-indebtedness," Working Papers CEB 12-008, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Agier, Isabelle & Szafarz, Ariane, 2013.
"Microfinance and Gender: Is There a Glass Ceiling on Loan Size?,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 165-181.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2010. "Microfinance and Gender: Is There a Glass Ceiling in Loan Size?," Working Papers CEB 10-047, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Microfinance and Gender: Is There a Glass Ceiling on Loan Size?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/149090, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2006.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 932-952, October.
- Thorsten Beck, 2004. "The determinants of financing obstacles," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3204, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Maksimovic, V., 2006. "The determinants of financing obstacles," Other publications TiSEM 3fd6bd22-71e9-4084-87a3-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Adams, Dale W. & Graham, Douglas H., 1981. "A critique of traditional agricultural credit projects and policies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 347-366, June.
- Hisaki KONO & Kazushi TAKAHASHI, 2010. "Microfinance Revolution: Its Effects, Innovations, And Challenges," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 48(1), pages 15-73.
- Leif Erec Heimfarth & Oliver Musshoff, 2011. "Weather index-based insurances for farmers in the North China Plain: An analysis of risk reduction potential and basis risk," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(2), pages 218-239, July.
- Briggeman, Brian C. & Towe, Charles A. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 2007. "Credit Access: Implications for Sole-Proprietor Household Production," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9707, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jaffee, Dwight & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1990. "Credit rationing," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 837-888 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.