Default rates in the loan market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia
Financial markets in emerging economies are often perceived as more risky than those in developed countries. We investigate whether this is true for loans to SMEs using a unique unbalanced panel of nearly 700 loans made to SMEs in Slovakia between 2000 and 2005. Several probit and panel probit models show that liquidity and profitability factors are important determinants of SME defaults. Moreover, we find that indebtedness significantly increases the probability of default. Liability as proxied by the legal form of SMEs has important incentive effects. Finally, there exist significant differences between sectors. We show that default rates and factors converged to values found in developed financial markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49-(0)941-943 54 10
Fax: +49-(0)941-943 54 27
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/621171
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franks, Julian R & Lóránth, Gyöngyi, 2005. "A Study of Inefficient Going Concerns in Bankruptcy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5035, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Honohan, Patrick & Klingebiel, Daniela, 2000. "Controlling the fiscal costs of banking crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2441, The World Bank.
- Paul Wachtel & John Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan, 2004.
"Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries,"
04-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2155-2178, August.
- John P. Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan & Paul Wachtel, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-679, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hainz, Christa, 2003. "Bank competition and credit markets in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 223-245, June.
- Sanjiv R. Das & Darrell Duffie & Nikunj Kapadia & Leandro Saita, 2007.
"Common Failings: How Corporate Defaults Are Correlated,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 93-117, 02.
- Sanjiv Das & Darrell Duffie & Nikunj Kapadia & Leandro Saita, 2006. "Common Failings: How Corporate Defaults are Correlated," NBER Working Papers 11961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Djankov, Simeon & Murrell, Peter, 2002.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simeon Djankov & Peter Murrell, 2002. "Enterprise Restructuring in Transition: A Quantitative Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(3), pages 739-792, September.
- Klapper, Leora & Sarria-Allende, Virginia & Zaidi, Rida, 2006. "A firm-level analysis of small and medium size enterprise financing in Poland," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3984, The World Bank.
- Evžen Kocenda & Martin Vojtek, 2009.
"Default Predictors and Credit Scoring Models for Retail Banking,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evžen Kocenda & Martin Vojtek, 2011. "Default Predictors in Retail Credit Scoring: Evidence from Czech Banking Data," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(6), pages 80-98, November.
- Evzen Kocenda & Martin Vojtek, 2011. "Default Predictors in Retail Credit Scoring: Evidence from Czech Banking Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1015, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bilsen, Valentijn & Konings, Jozef, 1998.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction, and Growth of Newly Established, Privatized, and State-Owned Enterprises in Transition Economies: Survey Evidence from Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 429-445, September.
- Valentijn Bilsen & Jozef Konings, 1997. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Growth of Newly Established, Privatized and State-Owned Enterprises in Transition Economies: Survey Evidence from Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 106, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fernández-Val, Iván, 2009.
"Fixed effects estimation of structural parameters and marginal effects in panel probit models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 71-85, May.
- Ivan Fernandez-Val, 2007. "Fixed Effects Estimation of Structural Parameters and Marginal Effects in Panel Probit Models," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-009, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "What's the point of credit scoring?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Sep, pages 3-16.
- Chakraborty, Atreya & Hu, Charles X., 2006. "Lending relationships in line-of-credit and nonline-of-credit loans: Evidence from collateral use in small business," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 86-107, January.
- Altman, Edward I, 1989. " Measuring Corporate Bond Mortality and Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 909-22, September.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Mucci, Fabio & Revoltella, Debora, 2006. "Household Credit in the New Europe: Lending Boom or Sustainable Growth?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5520, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephan Danninger & Irina Tytell & Ravi Balakrishnan & Selim Elekdag, 2009. "The Transmission of Financial Stress From Advanced to Emerging Economies," IMF Working Papers 09/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Allen N. Berger & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2002.
"Credit scoring and the availability, price, and risk of small business credit,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2002-26, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N & Frame, W Scott & Miller, Nathan H, 2005. "Credit Scoring and the Availability, Price, and Risk of Small Business Credit," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 191-222, April.
- Allen N. Berger & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2002. "Credit scoring and the availability, price, and risk of small business credit," Working Paper 2002-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Roman HorvÃƒÂ¡th & Eva HorvÃƒÂ¡thovÃƒÂ¡, 2010.
"Corporate Interest Rates and the Financial Accelerator in the Czech Republic,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(4), pages 41-54, January.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Horváth, Roman & Horváthová, Eva, 2008. "Corporate Interest Rates and the Financial Accelerator in the Czech Republic," Discussion Papers in Economics 7191, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Altman, Edward I. & Suggitt, Heather J., 2000. "Default rates in the syndicated bank loan market: A mortality analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 229-253, January.
- Arturo Bris & Ivo Welch & Ning Zhu, 2006. "The Costs of Bankruptcy: Chapter 7 Liquidation versus Chapter 11 Reorganization," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1253-1303, 06.
- Tor Jacobson & Jesper Lindé & Kasper Roszbach, 2005.
"Credit Risk Versus Capital Requirements under Basel II: Are SME Loans and Retail Credit Really Different?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 43-75, October.
- Jacobson, Tor & Lindé, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2004. "Credit Risk versus Capital Requirements under Basel II: Are SME Loans and Retail Credit Really Different?," Working Paper Series 162, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sumit Agarwal & Robert B. H. Hauswald, 2007. "Distance and information asymmetries in lending decisions," Proceedings 1052, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Martin Vojtek & Evžen Koèenda, 2006. "Credit-Scoring Methods (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 56(3-4), pages 152-167, March.
- Bester, Helmut, 1987. "The role of collateral in credit markets with imperfect information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 887-899, June.
- Juraj Zeman & Pavol Jurca, 2008. "Macro Stress Testing of the Slovak Banking Sector," Working and Discussion Papers WP 1/2008, Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia.
- Patrick Honohan & Daniela Klingebiel, 2000. "Controlling fiscal costs of banking crises," Proceedings 682, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2006. "Fundamentals-Based Estimation of Default Probabilities: A Survey," IMF Working Papers 06/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2006.
"Why Do Banks Ask for Collateral and Which Ones ?,"
Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center
2006-03, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Christoph Duenwald & Nikolay Gueorguiev & Andrea Schaechter, 2005. "Too Much of a Good Thing? Credit Booms in Transition Economies; The Cases of Bulgaria, Romania, and Ukraine," IMF Working Papers 05/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Holmstrom, Bengt, 1996. "Financing of Investment in Eastern Europe: A Theoretical Perspective," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 205-37.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Régis Blazy & Laurent Weill, 2013. "Why do banks ask for collateral in SME lending?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(13), pages 1109-1122, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecosys:v:34:y:2010:i:2:p:133-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.