Credit Constraints, Heterogeneous Firms and Loan Defaults
In light of the recent financial and economic crisis the present paper analyzes the determinants of loan default. We employ a unique firm-level panel data of 700 bank loans given to small and medium sized enterprises in Slovakia between 2000 and 2005 to investigate three loan default hypothesis. Testing the Sector-Risk Hypothesis, we find that agro-food industry does not exhibit higher default rate than other sectors. Testing the Firm-Risk Hypothesis, we find that highly indebted firms are more likely to default on their loan than other firms. Testing the EU Subsidy Hypothesis we find that the newly introduced subsidy system, which is decoupled from production, provides a secure source of income and hence reduces the probability of loan default.
|Date of creation:||17 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2002.
"Credit scoring and the availability, price, and risk of small business credit,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2002-26, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N & Frame, W Scott & Miller, Nathan H, 2005. "Credit Scoring and the Availability, Price, and Risk of Small Business Credit," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 191-222, April.
- Allen N. Berger & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2002. "Credit scoring and the availability, price, and risk of small business credit," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Jan Pokrivcak, 2013.
"Credit Constraints, Heterogeneous Firms and Loan Defaults,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 53-68, May.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Jan Pokrivcak, 2011. "Credit Constraints, Heterogeneous Firms and Loan Defaults," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2011_17, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Jouault, Amelie & Featherstone, Allen M., 2006. "Determining the Probability of Default of Agricultural Loans in a French Bank," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21376, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David Alary & Christian Gollier, 2004.
"Debt Contract, Strategic Default, and Optimal Penalties with Judgement Errors,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 357-372, November.
- Gollier, Christian & Alary, David, 2004. "Debt Contract, Strategic Default, and Optimal Penalties with Judgement Errors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6457, Paris Dauphine University.
- Pavel Ciaian & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2009.
"Credit Market Imperfections and the Distribution of Policy Rents,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1124-1139.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2008. "Credit Market Imperfections and the Distribution of Policy Rents," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44050, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Holmstrom, Bengt, 1996. "Financing of Investment in Eastern Europe: A Theoretical Perspective," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 205-37.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "What's the point of credit scoring?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Sep, pages 3-16.
- Jan Fałkowski & Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs, 2009.
"Access to Credit, Factor Allocation and Farm Productivity: Evidence From the CEE Transition Economies,"
2009-12, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Pavel Ciaian & Jan Falkowski & d'Artis Kancs, 2012. "Access to credit, factor allocation and farm productivity: Evidence from the CEE transition economies," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 22-47, March.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Falkowski, Jan & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010. "Access to Credit, Factor Allocation and Farm Productivity: Evidence From the CEE Transition Economies," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61347, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bester, Helmut, 1987. "The role of collateral in credit markets with imperfect information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 887-899, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz, 2009.
"Default Rates in the Loan Market for SMEs:Evidence from Slovakia,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Paper No. 72, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hainz, Christa, 2010. "Default rates in the loan market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz & Anton Malesich, 2006. "Default Rates in the Loan Market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp854, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chakraborty, Atreya & Hu, Charles X., 2006. "Lending relationships in line-of-credit and nonline-of-credit loans: Evidence from collateral use in small business," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 86-107, January.
- Allen M. Featherstone & Laura M. Roessler & Peter J. Barry, 2006. "Determining the Probability of Default and Risk-Rating Class for Loans in the Seventh Farm Credit District Portfolio," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(1), pages 4-23.
- Altman, Edward I. & Suggitt, Heather J., 2000. "Default rates in the syndicated bank loan market: A mortality analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 229-253, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2011_17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.