Why do banks ask for collateral in SME lending?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Berger, Allen N. & Scott Frame, W. & Ioannidou, Vasso, 2011.
"Tests of ex ante versus ex post theories of collateral using private and public information,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 85-97, April.
- Berger, A.N. & Frame, W.S. & Ioannidou, V., 2010. "Tests of Ex Ante Versus Ex Post Theories of Collateral Using Private and Public Information," Discussion Paper 2010-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Allen N. Berger & W. Scott Frame & Vasso P. Ioannidou, 2010. "Tests of ex ante versus ex post theories of collateral using private and public information," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2010-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Berger, Allen N. & Espinosa-Vega, Marco A. & Frame, W. Scott & Miller, Nathan H., 2011.
"Why do borrowers pledge collateral? New empirical evidence on the role of asymmetric information,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Allen N. Berger & Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2007. "Why do borrowers pledge collateral? new empirical evidence on the role of asymmetric information," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-29, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Avery, Robert B. & Bostic, Raphael W. & Samolyk, Katherine A., 1998. "The role of personal wealth in small business finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 1019-1061, August.
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1987. "Collateral and Rationing: Sorting Equilibria in Monopolistic and Competitive Credit Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 671-689, October.
- Jimenez, Gabriel & Salas, Vicente & Saurina, Jesus, 2006. "Determinants of collateral," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 255-281, August.
- Inderst, Roman & Mueller, Holger M., 2007.
"A lender-based theory of collateral,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 826-859, June.
- Inderst, Roman & Mueller, Holger M., 2006. "A lender-based theory of collateral," IMFS Working Paper Series 6, Goethe University Frankfurt, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS).
- Inderst, Roman & Mueller, Holger M, 2006. "A Lender-Based Theory of Collateral," CEPR Discussion Papers 5695, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V & Udell, Gregory F, 1991. "Secured Lending and Default Risk: Equilibrium Analysis, Policy Implications and Empirical Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 458-472, May.
- Hainz, Christa, 2003. "Bank competition and credit markets in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 223-245, June.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 1990. "Collateral, loan quality and bank risk," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Voordeckers, Wim & Steijvers, Tensie, 2006. "Business collateral and personal commitments in SME lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3067-3086, November.
- Sergei A. Davydenko & Julian R. Franks, 2008. "Do Bankruptcy Codes Matter? A Study of Defaults in France, Germany, and the U.K," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 565-608, April.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Kanatas, George, 1985. "Asymmetric Valuations and the Role of Collateral in Loan Agreements," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(1), pages 84-95, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anabela Marques Santos & Michele Cincera, 2018. "Sharing The Risk Of Innovative Investment: Assessing The Effect Of A New European Financing Instrument," iCite Working Papers 2018-029, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bin Liu & Charles Cullinan & Junrui Zhang & Fangjun Wang, 2016. "Loan guarantees and the cost of debt: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(38), pages 3626-3643, August.
- Blazy, Régis & Letaief, Aziza, 2017.
"When secured and unsecured creditors recover the same: The emblematic case of the Tunisian corporate bankruptcies,"
Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 19-41.
- Régis BLAZY & Aziza LETAIEF, 2015. "When secured and unsecured creditors recover the same: The emblematic case of the Tunisian corporate bankruptcies," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2015-08, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Ashiqur Rahman & Jaroslav Belas & Tomas Kliestik & Ladislav Tyll, 2017. "Collateral requirements for SME loans: empirical evidence from the Visegrad countries," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 650-675, July.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hainz, Christa, 2010.
"Default rates in the loan market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia,"
Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz & Anton Malesich, 2006. "Default Rates in the Loan Market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp854, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz, 2009. "Default Rates in the Loan Market for SMEs: Evidence from Slovakia," ifo Working Paper Series 72, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Laurent Weill & Christophe J. Godlewski, 2009.
"Collateral and Adverse Selection in Transition Countries,"
Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(1), pages 29-40, January.
- Laurent Weill & Christophe J. GODLEWSKI, 2008. "Collateral and Adverse Selection in Transition Countries," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-10, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Christophe Godlewski & Laurent Weill, 2009. "Collateral and adverse selection in transition countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14184, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Naradda Gamage, Sisira Kumara & Ekanayake, EMS & Abeyrathne, GAKNJ & Prasanna, RPIR & Jayasundara, JMSB & Rajapakshe, PSK, 2019. "Global Challenges and Survival Strategies of the SMEs in the Era of Economic Globalization: A Systematic Review," MPRA Paper 98419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Francesco Trivieri, 2017. "Collateral in lending relationships. A study on European SMEs microdata," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 339-356, May.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:23:y:2013:i:13:p:1109-1122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst). General contact details of provider: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.