Trade policy reforms in the new agricultural context: Is regional integration a priority for Sub-Saharan African countries agricultural-led industrialization? Insights from a global computable general equilibrium analysis
Global general equilibrium simulations of “regional” (within Sub-Saharan Africa –SSA-) and “multilateral” (Doha and preferential) trade integration are compared to assess policy reform priorities. Their coherence with the objective of agriculture-led industrialization is tested. New results reveal that for SSA regional integration delivers as much as multilateral integration. Multilateral liberalization drives Sub-Saharan African countries further away from agricultural-led industrialization. On the contrary regional integration fosters the production and trade of processed agricultural products. Regional integration has heterogeneous impacts on countries in SSA and gains might be concentrated on a few countries. Accompanying redistributive policies to compensate the loosers might help bring the negotiations further.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoine BOUET & David LABORDE & Elisa DIENESCH & Kimberly ELLIOTT, 2010.
"The Costs and Benefits of Duty-Free, Quota-Free Market Access for Poor Countries: Who and What Matters,"
11, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Feb 2010.
- Bouët Antoine & Laborde-Debucquet David & Dienesch Elisa & Elliott Kimberly, 2012. "The Costs and Benefits of Duty-Free, Quota-Free Market Access for Poor Countries: Who and What Matters," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-27, June.
- Antoine Bouët, David Laborde Debucquet,Elisa Dienesch, and Kimberly Elliott, 2010. "The Costs and Benefits of Duty-Free, Quota-Free Market Access for Poor Countries: Who and What Matters," Working Papers 206, Center for Global Development.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007.
"MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics,"
7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Sébastien Jean & David Laborde & Will Martin, 2011. "Formulas and Flexibility in Trade Negotiations: Sensitive Agricultural Products in the World Trade Organization's Doha Agenda," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 24(3), pages 500-519, February.
- Dani Rodrik, 1998. "Trade Policy and Economic Performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," NBER Working Papers 6562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann Harrison, 2006.
"Globalization and Poverty,"
NBER Working Papers
12347, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antoine Bouet & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2008.
"Assessing Applied Protection across the World,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Lionel Fontagné & David Laborde & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011.
"An Impact Study of the Economic Partnership Agreements in the Six ACP Regions,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 20(2), pages 179-216, March.
- Lionel Fontagné & David Laborde & Cristina Mitaritonna, 2011. "An Impact Study of the Economic Partnership Agreements in the Six ACP Regions," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00639868, HAL.
- Jensen, Henning Tarp & Sherman, Robinson & Tarp, Finn, 2008.
"Measuring Agricultural Policy Bias: General Equilibrium Analysis of Fifteen Developing Countries,"
61489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Sherman Robinson & Finn Tarp, 2010. "Measuring Agricultural Policy Bias: General Equilibrium Analysis of Fifteen Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1136-1148.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2011.
"Gravity, market potential and economic development,"
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2011. "Gravity, market potential and economic development," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 281-294, March.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2011.
"The (evolving) role of agriculture in poverty reduction--An empirical perspective,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 239-254, November.
- Christiaensen,Luc & Demery,Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2010. "The (Evolving) Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction: An Empirical Perspective," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ann Harrison & John McLaren & Margaret S. McMillan, 2010.
"Recent Findings on Trade and Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
16425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas W. Hertel & Roman Keeney & Maros Ivanic & L. Alan Winters, 2007.
"Distributional effects of WTO agricultural reforms in rich and poor countries,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 289-337, 04.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Keeney, Roman & Ivanic, Maros & Winters, L. Alan, 2006. "Distributional effects of WTO agricultural reforms in rich and poor countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4060, The World Bank.
- Hertel, Thomas & Keeney, Roman & Ivanic, Maros & Winters, Alan, 2006. "Distributional Effects of WTO Agricultural Reforms in Rich and Poor Countries," GTAP Working Papers 2185, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Berisha-Krasniqi, Valdete & Bouet, Antoine & Mevel, Simon, 2008. "Economic partnership agreements between the European Union and African, Caribbean, and Pacific Countries: What is at stake for Senegal," IFPRI discussion papers 765, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alan Matthews, 2005. "Policy Coherence for Development: Issues in Agriculture: An Overview Paper," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp063, IIIS.
- Francis Ng & M. Ataman Aksoy, 2008. "Food price increases and net food importing countries: lessons from the recent past," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 443-452, November.
- Jones, Chris & Morrissey, Oliver & Nelson, Doug, 2011. "Did the World Bank Drive Tariff Reforms in Eastern Africa?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 324-335, March.
- Sharmistha Self & Richard Grabowski, 2007. "Economic development and the role of agricultural technology," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 395-404, 05.
- Akinwumi A. Adesina, 2010. "Conditioning trends shaping the agricultural and rural landscape in Africa," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 73-82, November.
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Jean, Sebastien & Matthews, Alan, 2005. "Agricultural Trade Liberalization: Assessing the Consequences for Developing Countries," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24628, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Przemyslaw Kowalski & Ben Shepherd, 2006. "South-South Trade In Goods," OECD Trade Policy Papers 40, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126546. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.