Measuring Agricultural Policy Bias: General Equilibrium Analysis of Fifteen Developing Countries
Measurement is a key issue in the literature on price incentive bias induced by trade policy. We introduce a general equilibrium measure of the relative effective rate of protection, which generalizes earlier protection measures. For our fifteen sample countries, results indicate that the agricultural price incentive bias generally perceived to exist during the 1980s was largely eliminated during the 1990s. Results also demonstrate that general equilibrium effects and country-specific characteristics are crucial for determining the sign and magnitude of agricultural bias. Our comprehensive protection measure is therefore uniquely suited to capture the full impact of trade policies on relative agricultural price incentives. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bautista, Romeo M. & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn & Wobst, Peter, 1998.
"Policy bias and agriculture: partial and general equilibrium measures,"
TMD discussion papers
25, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bautista, Romeo M, et al, 2001. "Policy Bias and Agriculture: Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 89-104, February.
- Bautista, Romeo M. & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn & Wobst, Peter, 2001. "Policy Bias and Agriculture: Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," MPRA Paper 29473, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Abler & Adrián Rodríguez & James Shortle, 1999. "Parameter Uncertainty in CGE Modeling of the Environmental Impacts of Economic Policies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 75-94, July.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Sussangkarn, Chalongphob, 1992. "Effective Rates of Protection When Domestic and Foreign Goods Are Imperfect Substitutes: The Case of Thailand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 701-11, November.
- C. Arndt & H. T. Jensen & S. Robinson & F. Tarp, 2000.
"Marketing Margins and Agricultural Technology in Mozambique,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 121-137.
- Arndt, Channing & Jensen, Henning Tarp & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Marketing margins and agricultural technology in Mozambique:," TMD discussion papers 43, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kym Anderson, 2006.
"Reducing Distortions to Agricultural Incentives: Progress, Pitfalls, and Prospects,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1135-1146.
- Anderson, Kym, 2006. "Reducing distortions to agricultural incentives : progress, pitfalls, and prospects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4092, The World Bank.
- Jensen, Henning Tarp & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 2002.
"General equilibrium measures of agricultural policy bias in fifteen developing countries,"
TMD discussion papers
105, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Sherman Robinson & Finn Tarp, 2004. "General Equilibrium Measures of Agricultural Policy Bias in Fifteen Developing Countries," Discussion Papers 04-25, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2002. "CGE Modelling and Trade Policy: Reassessing The Agricultural Bias," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 383-405.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik & Jensen, Henning Tarp, 2004.
"Labor market reforms, growth, and unemployment in labor-exporting countries in the Middle East and North Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3328, The World Bank.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik & Jensen, Henning Tarp, 2007. "Labor market reforms, growth, and unemployment in labor-exporting countries in the Middle East and North Africa," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-309.
- Krueger, Anne O & Schiff, Maurice & Valdes, Alberto, 1988. "Agricultural Incentives in Developing Countries: Measuring the Effect of Sectoral and Economywide Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 2(3), pages 255-71, September.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1998. "Why Trade Liberalisation Is Good for Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1513-22, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:92:y:2010:i:4:p:1136-1148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.