Quality attributes and socio-demographic factors affecting channel choices
Potato is an important staple food and horticultural crop for Argentina and it is included in almost every meal prepared by households. The annual average per capita consumption of potatoes is 40 kg. Despite the rapid rise of supermarkets, small fruit and vegetable shops still dominate horticultural retail in Argentina. The fresh potato quality is a wide and subjective notion that deals with different kinds of attributes e.g., colour, flavor, nutritional contents, added substances during the productive processes and risks perceptions. Commercial channel preferences, knowledge about varieties, and opinions regarding bad quality attributes are important factors affecting fresh potatoes consumers choices. The aim of this research is to examine how consumers perceive quality characteristics of fresh potatoes and to identify quality attributes and socio-demographics factors affecting channels choices for buying potatoes. A representative sample of the population in this city included 500 randomly selected households. The urban households survey was carry out in the city of Mar del Plata, in June 2009 using a questionnaire – based on face to face interviews. The principal place of respondents choosing to purchase fresh potatoes is the fruits and vegetables stores (72 %), followed in importance with much lower percentages by supermarkets / hypermarkets (15 %) and other channels, such as community fairs, wholesaler market, self-production and direct vegetable delivery by producer (12 %). In order to examine the relationship between preferences for certain quality attributes of fresh potato and socio-economic variables of households about their choice of purchase channel, we applied a multinomial logit regression (MNL). According to the econometric results, we can conclude that fruits and vegetables stores are preferred by decision maker buying fresh potatoes with brown skin colour, with knowledge about potato carbohydrate contribution, and having age under 55 years old. Also this channel is chosen, compared with the supermarkets / hypermarkets, by those consumers that consider price as an important factor when buying unpacked fresh potatoes.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florkowski, Wojciech J. & You, Zhikang & Huang, Chung L., 1999. "Consumer Selection Of Retail Outlets In Buying Pecans," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(2), July.
- Reynolds, Anderson, 1990. "Analyzing Fresh Vegetable Consumption From Household Survey Data," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Bruce A. Babcock & Nabil M. Chaherli & P. G. Lakshminarayan, 1995. "Program Participation and Farm-Level Adoption of Conservation Tillage: Estimates from a Multinomial Logit Model," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 95-wp136, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Kezis, Alan S. & Smith, Duane A. & Peavey, Stephanie R. & Lloyd, Joseph A., 1988. "Testing For Differences In Consumer Acceptance Of Identically Appearing Potato Varieties," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 19(2), September.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Morehart, Mitchell J., 1999. "Technology Adoption Decisions In Dairy Production And The Role Of Herd Expansion," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(1), April.
- Yue, Chengyan & Grebitus, Carola & Bruhn, Maike & Jensen, Helen H., 2008. "Potato Marketing – Factors Affecting Organic and Conventional Potato Consumption Patterns," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43948, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cook, Khari A. & Toensmeyer, Ulrich C. & German, Carl L. & Bacon, J. Richard, 2000. "An Analysis Of Household Consumption Of Fresh Potatoes In Delaware," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 31(01), March.
- Caffey, Rex H. & Kazmierczak, Richard F., Jr., 1994. "Factors Influencing Technology Adoption In A Louisiana Aquaculture System," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Schupp, Alvin R. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Reed, Debra, 1998. "Consumer Choice Among Alternative Red Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(3), November.
- Boccaletti, Stefano & Nardella, Michele, 2000. "Consumer Willingness To Pay For Pesticide-Free Fresh Fruit And Vegetables In Italy," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 3(03).
- Frode Alfnes, 2004. "Stated preferences for imported and hormone-treated beef: application of a mixed logit model," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 19-37, March.
- Canavari, Maurizio & Tisselli, Farid & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Scarpa, Riccardo, 2009. "Italian Consumer Acceptance of Nutritionally Enhanced GM Food," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51651, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae12:126372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.