Family Composition And Off-Farm Participation Decisions In Israeli Farm Households
This paper studies the dependence of the off-farm participation behavior of farm operators and their spouses on the demographic composition of the household. Specifically, we focus on farm families without parents, siblings or partners, and examine the effects of the existence and work decisions of elderly children of the farm couple. We find that both the father and the mother tend to reduce their participation in off-farm work as the number of elderly children rises. This result holds even after controlling for observed characteristics. We also find that the effect of elderly children stems from considerations related to both farm production and household production.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tokle, J. G. & Huffman, Wallace, 1991. "Local Economic Conditions and Wage Labor Decisions of Farm and Rural Nonfarm Couples," Staff General Research Papers 10988, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ayal Kimhi, 1996. "Demographic composition of farm households and its effect on time allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 429-439.
- Ayal Kimhi & Noga Nachlieli, 2001.
"Intergenerational Succession on Israeli Family Farms,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 42-58.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Nachlieli, Noga, 1998. "Intergenerational Succession In Israeli Family Farms," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kimhi, Ayal, 1996. "Demographic Composition of Farm Households and Its Effect on Time Allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 429-39, November.
- Ayal Kimhi & Myoung-jae Lee, 1996. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Farm Couples: Estimating Structural Simultaneous Equations with Ordered Categorical Dependent Variables," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 687-698.
- Shishko, Robert & Rostker, Bernard, 1976. "The Economics of Multiple Job Holding," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 298-308, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:huaedp:14976. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.