Identification Of Market Power In The Hungarian Dairy Industry: A Plant-Level Analysis
The objective of this paper is to provide an alternative model which can be used to test for oligopsony market power applying plant-level data. For this purpose, we took into account empirical studies and specific developments in the Hungarian dairy industry and specified a model that provides useful benchmarks for an econometric test of market power. The results of the econometric analysis show that the effects from policy changes in Hungary, as well as from plant specific issues are highly statistically significant, and produce evidence suggesting the exercise of oligopsony market power in the Hungarian dairy industry.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sven Anders, 2008. "Imperfect Competition in German Food Retailing: Evidence from State Level Data," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(4), pages 441-454, December.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch,"
Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe,
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 41, number 92322, October.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
[Market structure and pricing on the Ukrainian market for raw milk]," MPRA Paper 21958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007. "Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
- Weliwita, Ananda & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1996. "Identifying Implicit Collusion Under Declining Output Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Koontz, Stephen R. & Garcia, Philip, 1997. "Meat-Packer Conduct In Fed Cattle Pricing: Multiple-Market Oligopsony Power," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Lajos ZoltÃ¡n Bakucs & Imre FertÅ & Heinrich Hockmann & Oleksandr Perekhozhuk, 2010. "Estimating Oligopsony Power in the Hungarian Market for Slaughter Hogs," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(1), pages 64-78, January.
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Altobello, Marilyn A. & Shah, Farhed A., 1994. "Amenity Benefits And Public Policy: An Application To The Connecticut Dairy Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Gabor Bekes & Peter Harasztosi & Balazs Murakozy, 2009.
"Firms and Products in International Trade: Data and Patterns for Hungary,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0919, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Gábor Békés & Péter Harasztosi & Balázs Muraközy, 2009. "Firms and Products in International Trade: Data and Patterns for Hungary," CeFiG Working Papers 9, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 12 Oct 2009.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Muth, Mary K. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1999. "Measuring The Degree Of Oligopsony Power In The Beef Packing Industry In The Absence Of Marketing Input Quantity Data," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:114768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.