Does Intensity Of Change Matter? Factors Affecting Adoption In Two Agri-Environmental Schemes
Agri-environmental schemes are the main policy instrument currently available in the EU to promote environmentally friendly farming practices. Nevertheless, the adoption rate of these measures is still limited. This paper develops a theoretical framework to explain farmer sign-up decision and tests whether factors affecting this decision differ depending on the level of requirement of each measure. The model is tested with two different AES in Spain implying a low and a high farm management change. Technical factors are found to be most relevant when significant farm practice changes are at stake while the role of farmer characteristics is significant when minor changes are required. In both cases, social capital and farmer attitudes still explain part of the sign-up decision. In order to increase adoption rates, different promotion activities should be undertaken according to different measures, increasing technical suitability when major changes are at stake and enhancing social capital and better targeting to relevant farmers for measures with lower requirements.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Bonnieux & P. Rainelli & D. Vermersch, 1998. "Estimating the Supply of Environmental Benefits by Agriculture: A French Case Study," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(2), pages 135-153, March.
- Joseph C. Cooper, 2003.
"A Joint Framework for Analysis of Agri-Environmental Payment Programs,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 976-987.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2001. "A Joint Framework for Analysis of Agri-Environmental Payment Programs," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20493, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rob Fraser, 2002.
"Moral Hazard and Risk Management in Agri-environmental Policy,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 475-487.
- Fraser, Rob W., 2002. "Moral Hazard and Risk Management in Agri-Environmental Policy," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125086, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Martin Whitby, 2000. "Challenges and Options for the UK Agri-Environment: Presidential Address," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 317-332.
- Gomez-Limon, J.A. & Atance, I., 2004. "Identification of public objectives related to agricultural sector support," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(8-9), pages 1045-1071, December.
- Smith, Katherine R. & Weinberg, Marca, 2006.
"Measuring the Success of Conservation Programs,"
United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, July.
- Rob Fraser, 2004.
"On the Use of Targeting to Reduce Moral Hazard in Agri-environmental Schemes,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 525-540.
- Fraser, Rob W., 2003. "On the use of targeting to reduce moral hazard in agri-environmental schemes," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57867, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- G. A. A. Wossink, 2003. "Biodiversity conservation by farmers: analysis of actual and contingent participation," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 461-485, December.
- José A. Gómez-Limón & Ignacio Atance, 2004. "Identification of Public Objectives Related to Agricultural Sector Support," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/57, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Isabel Vanslembrouck & Guido Huylenbroeck & Wim Verbeke, 2002. "Determinants of the Willingness of Belgian Farmers to Participate in Agri-environmental Measures," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 489-511.
- Mathijs, Erik, 2002. "Social Capital and Farmers' Willingness to Adopt Countryside Stewardship Schemes," 13th Congress, Wageningen, The Netherlands, July 7-12, 2002 6981, International Farm Management Association.
- Lionel Delvaux & Bruno Henry de Frahan & Pierre Dupraz & Dominique Vermersch, 1999. "Adoption d'une MAE et consentement à recevoir des agriculteurs en région wallone," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 249(1), pages 71-81.
- Andrew Moxey & Ben White & Adam Ozanne, 1999. "Efficient Contract Design for Agri-Environment Policy," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 187-202.
- Thilo Glebe & Klaus Salhofer, 2007. "EU agri-environmental programs and the "restaurant table effect"," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 211-218, 09.
- P. Dupraz & D. Vermersch & B. De Frahan & L. Delvaux, 2003. "The Environmental Supply of Farm Households: A Flexible Willingness to Accept Model," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(2), pages 171-189, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa107:6458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.