The yield/quality trade-off and contractual choice
This paper provides an analysis of the choice of governance mechanism in agriculture using an integrated perspective based on agency theory. The main ways of organizing agriculture are compared: spot market and incentive contract. With the analytical development of both models, it is explored that the choice of the optimal mechanism depends on initial conditions such as uncertainty, the risk aversion of the agents or the number of competitors. Moreover, according to the predictions made by the economic literature on agrarian organization, the results support the coexistence of both governance alternatives.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michel Robe, 2001.
"What Can We Learn From Simulating a Standard Agency Model?,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
98, Society for Computational Economics.
- Robe, Michel A., 2001. "What can we learn from simulating a standard agency model?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 137-146, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1988.
"Economic organization, information, and development,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 93-160
- Stiglitz, J.E., 1988. "Economic Organization, Information And Development," Papers 21, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Agrawal, Pradeep, 1999. "Contractual structure in agriculture," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 293-325, July.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1987.
"Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 303-28, March.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Paul R. Milgrom, 1985. "Aggregation and Linearity in the Provision of Intertemporal Incentives," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 742, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andersson, Hans, 1995. "Primary and Secondary Producers: Economic Implications of Contracts in the Food Marketing Chain," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(3), pages 310-20.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Entry (and exit) in a differentiated industry,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-400, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 2001.
"Agricultural Markets As Relative Performance Evaluation,"
Staff General Research Papers
5036, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brent Hueth & Ethan Ligon, 2001. "Agricultural Markets as Relative Performance Evaluation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 318-328.
- Martin Gaynor & Paul Gertler, 1995.
"Moral Hazard and Risk Spreading in Partnerships,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(4), pages 591-613, Winter.
- Brent Hueth & Ethan Ligon, 1999.
"Agricultural Supply Response Under Contract,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 610-615.
- Timothy W. McGuire & Richard Staelin, 1983. "An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 161-191.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Steven Shavell, 1979. "Risk Sharing and Incentives in the Principal and Agent Relationship," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 55-73, Spring.
- Pierre Dubois & Tomislav Vukina, 2004.
"Grower Risk Aversion and the Cost of Moral Hazard in Livestock Production Contracts,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 835-841.
- Dubois, Pierre & Vukina, Tomislav, 2003. "Grower Risk Aversion and the Cost of Moral Hazard in Livestock Production Contracts," IDEI Working Papers 248, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bell, Clive & Zusman, Pinhas, 1976. "A Bargaining Theoretic Approach to Cropsharing Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 578-88, September.
- Brent Hueth & Ethan Ligon, 2002.
"Estimation of an efficient tomato contract,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 237-253, June.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Miguel Carriquiry & Bruce A. Babcock, 2002. "Can Spot and Contract Markets Co-Exist in Agriculture?," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-wp311, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Alexander, Corinne E. & Goodhue, Rachael E. & Rausser, Gordon C., 2007. "Do Incentives For Quality Matter?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Newbery, David M G, 1977. "Risk Sharing, Sharecropping and Uncertain Labour Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 585-94, October.
- Giraud-Heraud, Eric & Soler, Louis-Georges & Tanguy, Herve, 1999. "Avoiding Double Marginalisation in Agro-Food Chains," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 179-98, June.
- Newbery, D M G & Stiglitz, J E, 1979. "The Theory of Commodity Price Stabilisation Rules: Welfare Impacts and Supply Responses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 799-817, December.
- Hueth, Brent & Wolf, Stephen & Ligon, Ethan, 2001. "Policing Mechanisms in Agricultural Contracts," Staff General Research Papers 5257, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 1999.
"Producer Price Risk and Quality Measurement,"
Staff General Research Papers
5037, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anne T. Coughlan, 1985. "Competition and Cooperation in Marketing Channel Choice: Theory and Application," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 110-129.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Chuma, Hiroyuki & Hayami, Yujiro, 1992. "Land and Labor Contracts in Agrarian Economies: Theories and Facts," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1965-2018, December.
- William Chambers & Robert P. King, 2002. "Changing Agricultural Markets: Industrialization and Vertical Coordination in the Dry Edible Bean Industry," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 495-511.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1999. "The Role of Risk in Contract Choice," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 704-36, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6065. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.