The Role of an Imitating Firm in a Dynamic Context
We analyze the effects of an imitating firm on the behavior of the innovating firm. The framework of analysis used is a dynamic duopoly model of vertical product differentiation, where both the innovator and the imitator compete simultaneously in price and quality. We obtain that when the market is small, the presence of an imitator encourages the innovator to increase its innovating process, so the entry of the imitator should not be obstructed; and, when the market is large, the imitator reduces the innovator’s incentives to invest its economic resources in R&D and to provide a higher quality, so the entry of the imitator should not be encouraged.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 67 (Julio-Diciembre)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://economia.udea.edu.co|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Lecturas de Economía, Departamento de Economía, Calle 67, 53-108, Medellin 050010, Colombia.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716.
- Paul, BELLEFLAMME & Cecilia, VERGARI, 2006.
"Incentives to innovate in oligopolies,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques)
2006008, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Uri Ronnen, 1991. "Minimum Quality Standards, Fixed Costs, and Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(4), pages 490-504, Winter.
- Avner Shaked & John Sutton, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition Through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13.
- Bonanno, Giacomo & Haworth, Barry, 1998. "Intensity of competition and the choice between product and process innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 495-510, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lde:journl:y:2007:i:67:p:225-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.