Horizontal Mergers and Product Quality-
Using a spatial competition framework with three ex ante identical firms, we study the effects of a horizontal merger on quality, price and welfare. The merging firms always reduce quality. They also increase prices if demand responsiveness to quality is sufficiently low. The non-merging firm, on the other hand, always responds by increasing both quality and prices. Overall, a merger leads to higher average prices and quality in the market. The welfare implications of a merger are not clear-cut. If the demand responsiveness to quality is sufficiently high, some consumers benefit from the merger and social welfare might also increase.
|Date of creation:||10 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +47 55 959 277
Fax: 5595 9100
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/sam/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1980.
"Entry (and exit) in a differentiated industry,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 327-338, April.
- Kurt R. Brekke, 2004. "Competition or Coordination in Hospital Markets with Unionised Labour," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 65-89, 03.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- David A. Matsa, 2011. "Competition and Product Quality in the Supermarket Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(3), pages 1539-1591.
- Pedro Pita Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2002.
"Public and Private Provision of Health Care,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 109-133, 03.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2000. "Public and Private Provision of Health Care," CEPR Discussion Papers 2491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro P. Barras & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, . "Public And Private Provision Of Healtch Care," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 438.99, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ching-to Ma & James Burgess, 1993.
"Quality competition, welfare, and regulation,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 58(2), pages 153-173, June.
- Michael Mazzeo, 2003. "Competition and Service Quality in the U.S. Airline Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 275-296, June.
- Posada, Pedro & Straume, Odd Rune, 2002.
"Merger, partial collusion and relocation,"
Working Papers in Economics
23/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Andrew Sweeting, 2010. "The effects of mergers on product positioning: evidence from the music radio industry," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(2), pages 372-397.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-83, September.
- Jaskold Gabszewicz, J. & Thisse, J. -F., 1979.
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 340-359, June.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-94, December.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009.
"Price and quality in spatial competition,"
NIPE Working Papers
21/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Lommerud, K.E. & Sorgard, L., 1997.
"Merger and Product Range Rivalery,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
165, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Scarpa, Carlo, 1998. "Minimum quality standards with more than two firms1," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 665-676, September.
- Tenn, Steven & Froeb, Luke & Tschantz, Steven, 2010. "Mergers when firms compete by choosing both price and promotion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 695-707, November.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Patrick Romano & David Balan, 2011. "A Retrospective Analysis of the Clinical Quality Effects of the Acquisition of Highland Park Hospital by Evanston Northwestern Healthcare," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 45-64.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Gravelle, Hugh, 1999. "Capitation contracts: access and quality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 315-340, June.
- CHAMPSAUR, Paul & ROCHET, Jean-Charles, .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-854, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raymond Deneckere & Carl Davidson, 1985. "Incentives to Form Coalitions with Bertrand Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 473-486, Winter.
- Esther Gal-Or, 1983. "Quality and Quantity Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 590-600, Autumn.
- Calem, Paul S. & Dor, Avi & Rizzo, John A., 1999. "The welfare effects of mergers in the hospital industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 197-213, May.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1993. "Quality variations in the circular model of variety-differentiated products," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 235-257, April.
- Ho, Vivian & Hamilton, Barton H., 2000. "Hospital mergers and acquisitions: does market consolidation harm patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 767-791, September.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Ying Fan, 2013. "Ownership Consolidation and Product Characteristics: A Study of the US Daily Newspaper Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(5), pages 1598-1628, August.
- Steven T. Berry & Joel Waldfogel, 2001. "Do Mergers Increase Product Variety? Evidence From Radio Broadcasting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(3), pages 1009-1025, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhheco:2014_004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dagny Hanne Kristiansen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.