Changes in persistence, spurious regressions and the Fisher hypothesis
Declining inflation persistence has been documented in numerous studies. When such series are analyzed in a regression framework in conjunction with other persistent time series, spurious regressions are likely to occur. We propose to use the coefficient of determination R2 as a test statistic to distinguish between spurious and genuine regressions in situations where time series possibly (but not necessarily) exhibit changes in persistence. To this end, we establish some limit theory for the R2 statistic and conduct a Monte Carlo study where we investigate its finite-sample properties. Finally, we apply the test to the Fisher equation for the U.S. and Mexico. Contrary to a rejection using cointegration techniques, the R2-based test offers strong evidence favourable to the Fisher hypothesis.
|Date of creation:||04 Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noriega, Antonio E. & Ramos-Francia, Manuel, 2009. "The dynamics of persistence in US inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 168-172, November.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Hyung, Namwon & Jeon, Yongil, 1998.
"Spurious Regressions with Stationary Series,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt7r3353t8, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Tsong, Ching-Chuan & Lee, Cheng-Feng, 2013. "Quantile cointegration analysis of the Fisher hypothesis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 186-198.
- Tsay, Wen-Jen & Chung, Ching-Fan, 2000. "The spurious regression of fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 155-182, May.
- Marmol, Francesc, 1997.
"Spurius regression theory with nonstationary fractionally integrated processes,"
DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS
10733, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Marmol, Francesc, 1998. "Spurious regression theory with nonstationary fractionally integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 233-250, June.
- Stephen Leybourne & Robert Taylor & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2007. "CUSUM of Squares-Based Tests for a Change in Persistence," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 408-433, 05.
- Rapach, David E. & Weber, Christian E., 2004. "Are real interest rates really nonstationary? New evidence from tests with good size and power," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 409-430, September.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal, 2009. "The Nature of Persistence in Euro Area Inflation: A Reconsideration," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1218, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Georgios KOURETAS & Mark E. WOHAR, .
"The Dynamics of Inflation: A Study of a Large Number of Countries,"
- Georgios P. Kouretas & Mark E. Wohar, 2012. "The dynamics of inflation: a study of a large number of countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(16), pages 2001-2026, June.
- Kang Kyu Ho & Kim Chang-Jin & Morley James, 2009. "Changes in U.S. Inflation Persistence," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(4), pages 1-23, September.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Daniel Ventosa-Santaularia, 2006.
"Spurious Regression and Trending Variables,"
Department of Economics and Finance Working Papers
EM200701, Universidad de Guanajuato, Department of Economics and Finance, revised Jan 2007.
- Entorf, Horst, 1997. "Random walks with drifts: Nonsense regression and spurious fixed-effect estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 287-296, October.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto, 2007. "Dynamics of Persistence in International Inflation Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(6), pages 1457-1479, 09.
- Ventosa-Santaulària, Daniel, 2008. "Spurious Regression," MPRA Paper 59008, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Malliaropulos, Dimitrios, 2000. "A note on nonstationarity, structural breaks, and the Fisher effect," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 695-707, May.
- Stephen Leybourne & Tae-Hwan Kim & Vanessa Smith & Paul Newbold, 2003. "Tests for a change in persistence against the null of difference-stationarity," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(2), pages 291-311, December.
- Lai, Kon S., 2008. "The puzzling unit root in the real interest rate and its inconsistency with intertemporal consumption behavior," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 140-155, February.
- Christopher J. Neely & David E. Rapach, 2008.
"Real interest rate persistence: evidence and implications,"
2008-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Christopher J. Neely & David E. Rapach, 2008. "Real interest rate persistence: evidence and implications," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 609-642.
- Rose, Andrew Kenan, 1988. " Is the Real Interest Rate Stable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1095-1112, December.
- Koustas, Z., Serletis, A., 1998.
"On the Fisher Effect,"
98-09, Calgary - Department of Economics.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2009.
"On the dynamics of inflation persistence around the world,"
2009-02, Banco de México.
- Antonio Noriega & Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2013. "On the dynamics of inflation persistence around the world," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1243-1265, June.
- Busetti, Fabio & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2004. "Tests of stationarity against a change in persistence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 33-66, November.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Halunga, Andreea G. & Osborn, Denise R. & Sensier, Marianne, 2009.
"Changes in the order of integration of US and UK inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 30-32, January.
- Andreea Halunga & Denise Osborn & Marianne Sensier, 2007. "Changes in the order of integration of US and UK inflation," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0715, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Eiji Kurozumi, 2005. "Detection of Structural Change in the Long-run Persistence in a Univariate Time Series," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(2), pages 181-206, 04.
- Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Panel cointegration tests of the Fisher effect," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 193-233.
- Mark J. Jensen, 2009.
"The Long-Run Fisher Effect: Can It Be Tested?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 221-231, 02.
- Marmol, Francesc, 1996. "Nonsense Regressions between Integrated Processes of Different Orders," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 525-36, August.
- Kim, Jae-Young, 2000. "Detection of change in persistence of a linear time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 97-116, March.
- Kim, Jae-Young & Belaire-Franch, Jorge & Amador, Rosa Badillo, 2002. "Corrigendum to "Detection of change in persistence of a linear time series" [J. Econom. 95 (2000) 97-116]," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 389-392, August.
- Uwe Hassler & Jan Scheithauer, 2011. "Detecting changes from short to long memory," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 52(4), pages 847-870, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2013-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.