Bootstrap testing multiple changes in persistence for a heavy-tailed sequence
This paper tests the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of changes in persistence for sequences in the domain of attraction of a stable law. The proposed moving ratio test is valid for multiple changes in persistence while the previous residual based ratio tests are designed for processes displaying only a single change. We show that the new test is consistent whether the process changes from I(0) to I(1) or vice versa. And it is easy to identify the direction of detected change points. In particular, a bootstrap approximation method is proposed to determine the critical values for the null distribution of the test statistic containing unknown tail index. We also propose a two step approach to estimate the change points. Numerical evidence suggests that our test performs well in finite samples. In addition, we show that our test is still powerful for changes between short and long memory, and displays no tendency to spuriously over-reject I(0) null in favor of a persistence change if the process is actually I(1) throughout. Finally, we illustrate our test using the US inflation rate data and a set of high frequency stock closing price data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Rosadi, Dedi, 2009. "Testing for independence in heavy-tailed time series using the codifference function," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 4516-4529, October.
- Chen, Zhanshou & Tian, Zheng & Wei, Yuesong, 2010. "Monitoring change in persistence in linear time series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(19-20), pages 1520-1527, October.
- Busetti, Fabio & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 2004. "Tests of stationarity against a change in persistence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 33-66, November.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Uwe Hassler & Jan Scheithauer, 2011. "Detecting changes from short to long memory," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 52(4), pages 847-870, November.
- Stephen Leybourne & Tae-Hwan Kim & Vanessa Smith & Paul Newbold, 2003. "Tests for a change in persistence against the null of difference-stationarity," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(2), pages 291-311, December.
- Stephen Leybourne & Robert Taylor & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2007. "CUSUM of Squares-Based Tests for a Change in Persistence," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 408-433, 05.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Willert, Juliane, 2009.
"Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies and mean shifts,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-422, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Philipp Sibbertsen & Juliane Willert, 2012. "Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies and mean shifts," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 357-370, May.
- Leybourne Stephen & Kim Tae-Hwan & Taylor A.M. Robert, 2007. "Detecting Multiple Changes in Persistence," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-34, September.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Piotr Kokoszka & Michael Wolf, 2004. "Subsampling the mean of heavy-tailed dependent observations," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 217-234, 03.
- Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2006.
"Modified tests for a change in persistence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 441-469, October.
- Leybourne, Stephen J. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2006. "Persistence change tests and shifting stable autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 44-49, April.
- Philipp Sibbertsen & Robinson Kruse, 2009.
"Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 263-285, 05.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Kruse, Robinson, 2007. "Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-381, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Horváth, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2003. "A bootstrap approximation to a unit root test statistic for heavy-tailed observations," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 163-173, April.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2008.
"Testing for a change in persistence in the presence of non-stationary volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 84-98, November.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2006. "Testing for a change in persistence in the presence of non-stationary volatility," Discussion Papers 06/04, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Kim, Jae-Young, 2000. "Detection of change in persistence of a linear time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 97-116, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2303-2316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.