Model specification test with correlated but not cointegrated variables
Many macroeconomic and financial variables show highly persistent and correlated patterns but are not necessarily cointegrated. Recently, Sun et al. (2011) propose using a semiparametric varying coefficient approach to capture correlations between integrated but non cointegrated variables. Due to the complication arising from the integrated disturbance term and the semiparametric functional form, consistent estimation of such a semiparametric model requires stronger conditions than usually needed for consistent estimation for a linear (spurious) regression model, or a semiparametric varying coefficient model with a stationary disturbance. Therefore, it is important to develop a testing procedure to examine for a given data set, whether linear relationship holds or not, while allowing for the disturbance being an integrated process. In this paper we propose two test statistics for detecting linearity against semiparametric varying coefficient alternative specification. Monte Carlo simulations are used to examine the finite sample performances of the proposed tests.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao & Zongwu Cai, 2003.
"Adaptive varying-coefficient linear models,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 57-80.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao & Zongwu Cai, 2000. "Adaptive varying-coefficient linear models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6865, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao & Zongwu Cai, 2003. "Adaptive varying co-efficient linear models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5885, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zongwu Cai & Jianqin Fan & Qiwei Yao, 2000. "Adaptive Varying-Coefficient Linear Models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 388, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Wang, Qiying & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2009. "Asymptotic Theory For Local Time Density Estimation And Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 710-738, June.
- Qiying Wang & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2006. "Asymptotic Theory for Local Time Density Estimation and Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1594, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hong, Yongmiao, 2001. "A test for volatility spillover with application to exchange rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 183-224, July.
- Gao, Jiti & King, Maxwell & Lu, Zudi & Tjøstheim, Dag, 2009. "Nonparametric Specification Testing For Nonlinear Time Series With Nonstationarity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(06), pages 1869-1892, December.
- Jiti Gao & Maxwell King & Zudi Lu & Dag TjÃ¸stheim, 2009. "Nonparametric Specification Testing for Nonlinear Time Series with Nonstationarity," School of Economics Working Papers 2009-03, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Cai, Zongwu & Li, Qi & Park, Joon Y., 2009. "Functional-coefficient models for nonstationary time series data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Ted Juhl, 2005. "Functional-coefficient models under unit root behaviour," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(2), pages 197-213, 07.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-350, July.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Qiying Wang & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2009. "Structural Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1901-1948, November.
- Qiying Wang & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2008. "Structural Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1657, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Li, Qi, et al, 2002. "Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 412-422, July.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Asymmetric volatility transmission in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 747-762, December.
- Sun, Yiguo & Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi, 2011. "Measuring correlations of integrated but not cointegrated variables: A semiparametric approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 252-267, October.
- Zongwu Cai & Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 2000. "Functional-coefficient regression models for nonlinear time series," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994. "Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-933, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xiao, Zhijie, 2009. "Functional-coefficient cointegration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 81-92, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:178:y:2014:i:p1:p:80-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.