Estimating strategic price response in a product-differentiated oligopoly: The case of a domestic canned fruit industry
In this article, we empirically estimate the strategic price response in a domestic canned fruit industry using national-level, weekly point-of-purchase scanner data. Augmented Dickey-Fuller tests are used to obtain univariate time series properties of Del Monte and Dole's canned pineapple prices. Johansen's likelihood ratio cointegration test is used to characterize the existence of an industry pricing equilibrium. Vector autoregression and vector error correction models are employed to examine the multivariate time series properties of the two firms' prices. Granger causality tests are used to address the price leadership hypothesis, while impulse response functions are constructed to chronicle the intertemporal price response to an innovation in a rival's price series. The battery of tests indicates that Del Monte follows Dole's pricing decisions in this narrowly defined product market. A thorough understanding of empirical price reactions has far-reaching strategic management implications, such as forecasting a rival's response and avoiding costly price wars. [L110, L200, L660] © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 16 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David A. Bessler & Derya G. Akleman, 1998. "Farm Prices, Retail Prices, and Directed Graphs: Results for Pork and Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1144-1149.
- Cotterill, Ronald W., 1994. "Scanner Data: New Opportunities For Demand And Competitive Strategy Analysis," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 23(2), October.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1999.
"Estimating Coke and Pepsi's price and advertising strategies,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt6rf8j6m4, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2000. "Estimating Coke's and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 398-409, October.
- Golan, Amos & Karp, Larry S. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1998. "Estimating Coke and Pepsi's Price and Advertising Strategies," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt18b1q4kr, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1992.
"Computing Markov perfect Nash equilibria: numerical implications of a dynamic differentiated product model,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
58, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1994. "Computing Markov-Perfect Nash Equilibria: Numerical Implications of a Dynamic Differentiated Product Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(4), pages 555-589, Winter.
- Ariel Pakes & Paul McGuire, 1992. "Computing Markov Perfect Nash Equilibria: Numerical Implications of a Dynamic Differentiated Product Model," NBER Technical Working Papers 0119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kinsey, Jean D. & Senauer, Benjamin, 1997. "Food Marketing in an Electronic Age: Implications for Agriculture," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 12(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:16:y:2000:i:2:p:125-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.