Further Investigations into the Factors Affecting Compliance with U.K. Fishing Quotas
This paper reports the results of a more recent study of quota compliance in the U.K. fishery that was investigated in an earlier article in this journal (Hatcher et al. 2000). The study collected more detailed data on fishermen’s perceptions and experience of enforcement and sought to measure the financial incentive to cheat. In addition, whereas the earlier study used a binary approach to modelling the data, we employed an orderedresponse model and included a number of scale regressors without transformation. Although we still find some evidence of normative influences on violation levels, the results suggest that “conventional” economic incentives predominate in the fishery.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, December.
- Nielsen, Jesper Raakjær & Vedsmand, Tomas, 1997. "Fishermen's organisations in fisheries management. Perspectives for fisheries co-management based on Danish fisheries," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 277-288, May.
- William J. Furlong, 1991. "The Deterrent Effect of Regulatory Enforcement in the Fishery," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(1), pages 116-129.
- Dowell, Richard S & Goldfarb, Robert S & Griffith, William B, 1998. "Economic Man as a Moral Individual," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(4), pages 645-53, October.
- Rivers, Douglas & Vuong, Quang H., 1988. "Limited information estimators and exogeneity tests for simultaneous probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 347-366, November.
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Aaron Hatcher & Shabbar Jaffry & Olivier Thébaud & Elizabeth Bennett, 2000. "Normative and Social Influences Affecting Compliance with Fishery Regulations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(3), pages 448-461.
- Shavell, Steven, 1993. "The Optimal Structure of Law Enforcement," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 255-87, April.
- Jentoft, Svein, 1989. "Fisheries co-management , : Delegating government responsibility to fishermen's organizations," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 137-154, April.
- Wu, De-Min, 1973. "Alternative Tests of Independence Between Stochastic Regressors and Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 733-50, July.
- Jentoft, Svein & McCay, Bonnie, 1995. "User participation in fisheries management: lessons drawn from international experiences," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 227-246, May.
- Hatcher, Aaron C, 1997. "Producers' organizations and devolved fisheries management in the United Kingdom: Collective and individual quota systems," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 519-533, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:81:y:2005:i:1:p71-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.