Challenges and opportunities for protecting geographical indications in Thailand
In this paper, the legal framework for the protection of geographical indications (GIs) in Thailand is analysed and challenges the country has been facing in that regard are discussed. Although the legal protection of GIs is ensured by the World Trade Organization, unresolved issues remain concerning GI protection in Thailand. Biopiracy, existing conflicts of interests concerning different types of intellectual property rights (trademarks and patents versus GIs) and the rise in regional and bilateral trade agreements have created major challenges at the multilateral level. In drawing on GI cases in Thailand, in particular that concerning jasmine rice, an attempt is made to further analyse these challenges to protect genetic resources from the perspective of Thailand. This paper concludes with suggestions on how such challenges can be mitigated and in which direction trade negotiations should be shaped.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (66-2) 288-1234
Fax: (66-2) 288-1000
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tregear, Angela & Kuznesof, Sharron & Moxey, Andrew, 1998. "Policy initiatives for regional foods: some insights from consumer research," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 383-394, October.
- Anania, Giovanni & Nistico, Rosanna, 2003.
"Public Regulation As A Substitute For Trust In Quality Food Markets. What If The Trust Substitute Cannot Be Fully Trusted?,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25924, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giovanni Anania & Rosanna Nisticò, 2004. "Public Regulation as a Substitute for Trust in Quality Food Markets: What if the Trust Substitute cannot be Fully Trusted?," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(4), pages 681-, December.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-79, November.
- Tauber, Ramona & Anders, Sven & Langinier, Corinne, 2011. "The Economics of Geographical Indications: Welfare Implications," Working Papers 103262, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Carl Shapiro, 1982. "Consumer Information, Product Quality, and Seller Reputation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 20-35, Spring.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1978. "A Model of Advertising and Product Quality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 485-503, June.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Surbhi Jain, 2009. "Effects of the extension of geographical indications: a South Asian perspective," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 16(2), pages 65-86, December.
- Grote, Ulrike, 2009. "Environmental Labeling, Protected Geographical Indications and the Interests of Developing Countries," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 10(1).
- Teuber, Ramona, 2007.
"Geographical Indications of Origin as a Tool of Product Differentiation: The Case of Coffee,"
105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy
7866, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Teuber, Ramona, 2007. "Geographical Indications of Origin as a Tool of Product Differentiation : The Case of Coffee," Discussion Papers 33, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Beales, Howard & Craswell, Richard & Salop, Steven C, 1981. "The Efficient Regulation of Consumer Information," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 491-539, December.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Charlier, Christophe & Ngo, Mai-Anh, 2006. "An analysis of the dispute European Communities - Protection of trademarks and geographical indications for agricultural products and foodstuffs," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10032, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Marette, Stephan & Crespi, John M & Schiavina, Allesandra, 1999. "The Role of Common Labelling in a Context of Asymmetric Information," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 167-78, June.
- Pradyot R. Jena & Ulrike Grote, 2010. "Changing Institutions to Protect Regional Heritage: A Case for Geographical Indications in the Indian Agrifood Sector," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(2), pages 217-236, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unt:jnapdj:v:19:y:2012:i:2:p:93-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Macroeconomic Policy and Development Division, ESCAP)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.