The productivity challenge in services: measurement and strategic perspectives
The concept of productivity is at the heart of economic theory, management science and operational management of firms and organizations. Despite the theoretical and operational importance of this concept, in recent years, its absolutism has been challenged. Services are often at the heart of this critical debate. Both conceptually and methodologically, services are indeed a major challenge to the concept of productivity. The objective of this paper is to review issues raised by services and their relationships with productivity, from two different but related perspectives: (1) a theoretical and methodological perspective focused on the problems involved in defining and measuring productivity, and (2) a strategic perspective focused on identifying generic productivity and performance strategies in service firms and organizations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FSIJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FSIJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
- Camal Gallouj & Faïz Gallouj, 1996. "L'innovation dans les services," Post-Print hal-01111983, HAL.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Jean Gadrey & Edwige Ghillebaert & Faïz Gallouj, 1997. "Analyser les prestations de cohésion sociale « hors cadre » des services publics et leur coût. Le cas des relations de guichet à La Poste," Working Papers hal-01111932, HAL.
- Gadrey, Jean, 2000. "The Characterization of Goods and Services: An Alternative Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 369-387, September.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-338, December.
- Heinz Handler & Bertrand Koebel & Philipp Reiss & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2005. "The size and performance of public sector activities in Europe," Public Economics 0507011, EconWPA.
- Heinz Handler & Bertrand Koebel & Philipp Reiss & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2005. "The Size and Performance of Public Sector Activities in Europe," WIFO Working Papers 246, WIFO.
- Faïz Gallouj, 1997. "Towards a neo-Schumpeterian theory of innovation in services?," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(6), pages 405-420, December.
- Keh, Hean Tat & Chu, Singfat, 2003. "Retail productivity and scale economies at the firm level: a DEA approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 75-82, April.
- Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2008. "Measuring and Improving Productivity in Services: Issues, Strategies and Challenges," Post-Print hal-01111758, HAL. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)