Beyond Productivity Measurement and Strategies: Performance Evaluation and Strategies in Services
The concept of productivity is at the heart of economic theory, management science and operational management of firms and organizations. Despite the theoretical and operational importance of this concept, in recent years, its absolutism has been challenged. Services are often at the heart of this critical debate. Both conceptually and methodologically, services are indeed a major challenge to the concept of productivity. The objective of this paper is to review issues raised by services and their relationships with productivity, from two different but related perspectives: 1) a theoretical and methodological perspective focused on the problems involved in defining and measuring productivity, and 2) a strategic perspective focused on identifying generic productivity and performance strategies in service firms and organizations.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00748099|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faïz Gallouj & Olivier Weinstein, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-38, December.
- Fa�z Gallouj, 1997. "Towards a neo-Schumpeterian theory of innovation in services?," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(6), pages 405-420, December.
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
- Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2008. "Measuring and Improving Productivity in Services," Books, Edward Elgar, number 12734, April.
- Heinz Handler & Bertrand Koebel & Philipp Reiss & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2005.
"The size and performance of public sector activities in Europe,"
- Heinz Handler & Bertrand Koebel & Philipp Reiss & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2005. "The Size and Performance of Public Sector Activities in Europe," WIFO Working Papers 246, WIFO.
- Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2008. "Measuring and Improving Productivity in Services: Issues, Strategies and Challenges," Post-Print hal-01111758, HAL.
- Gadrey, Jean, 2000. "The Characterization of Goods and Services: An Alternative Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 369-87, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00748099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.