An analysis of US State’s export performance in the Asian Market
Asia is the most populous continent in the world and has fast become one of the richest and fastest growing continents in the world, thus, making this region a very important market for all companies and countries in the world today and more so in the future. Using a panel data for exports from the 50 U.S. states to 20 Asian countries, this study attempts to estimate the manufacturing export performance of U.S. states in the Asian market. The study also seeks to investigate what determines whether a state under- or overperforms in manufacturing exports to the Asian market. Our results indicate that a state’s manufacturing union density, infrastructure, legal system, corporate tax rate, employment density, pollution abatement cost, and regional location significantly impact whether the state will under- or overperform its export potential in the Asian market. Further, our results show that there are regional differences in the impact of the growth of Chinese exports on U.S. state exports to the Asian region. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 49 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Egger, 2002.
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Peter Egger, . "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," WIFO Working Papers 141, WIFO.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
- Freund, Caroline & Rocha, Nadia, 2010.
"What constrains Africa's exports?,"
WTO Staff Working Papers
ERSD-2010-07, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Djankov, Simeon & Freund, Caroline & Pham, Cong S., 2006.
"Trading on time,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3909, The World Bank.
- Karen Palmer & Wallace E. Oates & Paul R. Portney, 1995. "Tightening Environmental Standards: The Benefit-Cost or the No-Cost Paradigm?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 119-132, Fall.
- Henry G. Overman & Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"The economic geography of trade, production, and income: a survey of empirics,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3712, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Henry Overman & Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Economic Geography of Trade, Production, and Income: A Survey of Empirics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0508, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Overman, Henry G & Redding, Stephen J. & Venables, Anthony J, 2001. "The Economic Geography of Trade Production and Income: A Survey of Empirics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2978, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1998.
"The Structure of Foreign Trade,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1848, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2020, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 6752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, E., 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," Papers 18-98, Tel Aviv.
- J.Peter Neary, 2001.
"Of Hype and Hyperbolas: Introducing the New Economic Geography,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 536-561, June.
- J. Peter Neary, 2000. "Of Hype and Hyperbolas - Introducing the new Economic Geography," Working Papers 200019, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Fabel, Oliver, 1988. "State Factor Endowments and Exports: An Alternative to Cross-Industry Studies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 696-701, November.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2008.
"Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 153-176, Winter.
- Hirsch, Barry, 2007. "Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?," IZA Discussion Papers 2930, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Charles Ian Mead, 2001. "State user costs of capital," Working Papers 01-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David Lee & Alexandre Mas, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Unions on Firms: New Evidence from Financial Markets, 1961-1999," NBER Working Papers 14709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cletus Coughlin & Howard Wall, 2003.
"NAFTA and the changing pattern of state exports,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 427-450, November.
- Daniel Griswold, 2010. "Unions, Protectionism, and U.S. Competitiveness," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 30(1), pages 181-196, Winter.
- Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2004. "Agglomeration economies and industrial location: city-level evidence," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(5), pages 565-582, November.
- De Benedictis Luca & Vicarelli Claudio, 2005.
"Trade Potentials in Gravity Panel Data Models,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-33, September.
- Warner, Dennis & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1983. "Determinants of International Trade Flows," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-104, February.
- Cooper, Richard N., 1964. "Growth and Trade: Some Hypotheses About Long-Term Trends," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 609-628, December.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Donald R, 1997. "Critical Evidence on Comparative Advantage? North-North Trade in a Multilateral World," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 1051-60, October.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 1991. "Who Benefits from State and Local Economic Development Policies?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number wbsle, March.
- John F. Helliwell, 1992. "Empirical Linkages Between Democracy and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 4066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann, 2003. "Augmented Gravity Model: An Empirical Application to Mercosur-European Union Trade Flows," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 291-316, November.
- H. Doucouliagos & P. Laroche, 2004. "The Impact of U.S. Unions On Productivity: A Bootstrap Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2004_12, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:49:y:2012:i:2:p:533-550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.