Determinants of industrial location. An application for Catalan municipalities
The aim of this article is to show the main determinants of industrial location processes. To better illustrate phenomena such as agglomeration economies, which are normally studied at the regional level, we use local data. We use the Poisson model to identify the location patterns of firms. Our main statistical source is the Spanish Industrial Establishments Register, which has plant-level microdata on location of new industrial establishments. Our results show that the characteristics of a municipality strongly affect the location decisions of industrial establishments and that these decisions also depend on the sector in which the firm is located and the size of the firm. Copyright RSAI 2005.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meester, Wilhelm J., 2000. "Locational Self-Preference Of Firms," ERSA conference papers ersa00p421, European Regional Science Association.
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2001.
"Nursery Cities: Urban Diversity, Process Innovation, and the Life Cycle of Products,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1454-1477, December.
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2000. "Nursery Cities: Urban diversity, process innovation, and the life-cycle of products," Working Papers dpuga-00-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2000. "Nursery cities: urban diversity, process innovation and the life-cycle of products," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20204, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2000. "Nursery Cities: Urban Diversity, Process Innovation and the Life-Cycle of Products," CEP Discussion Papers dp0445, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2000. "Nursery Cities: Urban Diversity, Process Innovation, and the Life-Cycle of Products," CEPR Discussion Papers 2376, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Figueiredo, Octavio & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1999. "Start-Ups Domestic Location Decisions, and the Entrepreneur's Geographical Origin," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa045, European Regional Science Association.
- Paulo Guimar�es & Octávio Figueirdo & Douglas Woodward, 2003.
"A Tractable Approach to the Firm Location Decision Problem,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 201-204, February.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octavio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2000. "A tractable approach to the firm location decision problem," NIMA Working Papers 2, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1985. "Business Location Decisions in the United States: Estimates of the Effects of Unionization, Taxes, and Other Characteristics of States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- J. Vernon Henderson & Ari Kuncoro & Matthew Turner, 1992.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
4178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Didier Baudewyns, 1999. "La localisation intra-urbaine des firmes: une estimation logit multinomiale," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9157, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stam, Erik & Schutjens, Veronique, 2000. "Locational Behaviour Of Young Firms: A Life Course Perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa00p56, European Regional Science Association.
- Costa-Campi, M. Teresa & Viladecans-Marsal, Elisabet & Segarra-Blasco, Agusti, 2000. "Business Dynamics And Territorial Flexibility," ERSA conference papers ersa00p164, European Regional Science Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaeee:138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.