Portuguese Trade and European Union: The Gravity Model
This research examines the determinants of bilateral trade between Portugal and European Union countries (EU-27) for the period 2000-2010, using a panel data. In this study we revisited the recent contribution as in Charoensukmongkol and Sexton (2011), Samy and Dehejia (2011), Serrano and Pinilla (2012), and Faustino and Proença (2011). The findings show that Portuguese trade flows are according the Linder hypothesis. The international trade is explained by Heckscher-Ohlin theorem. The empirical results demonstrate that geographical distance has a negative and significant effect on bilateral trade, i.e., there is a bilateral trade increase when trade partners are close. The economic dimension and common border are positively correlated with bilateral trade. Our results also support the hypothesis that physical capital endowment has a positive effect on bilateral trade.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Subrata Ghatak & Monica Ioana Pop Silaghi & Vince Daly, 2009.
"Trade and migration flows between some CEE countries and the UK,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 61-78.
- Ghatak, Subrata & Pop-Silaghi, Monica Ioana & Daly, Vince, 2008. "Trade and migration flows between some CEE countries and the UK," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-1, School of Economics, Kingston University London.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Imperfect competition and international trade: Evidence from fourteen industrial countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann, 2003. "Augmented Gravity Model: An Empirical Application to Mercosur-European Union Trade Flows," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 291-316, November.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999.
"GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000. "GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Barry Eichengreen & Douglas A. Irwin, 1998.
"The Role of History in Bilateral Trade Flows,"
in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 33-62
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Hummels, D. & Levinsohn, J., 1993.
"Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence,"
339, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hummels, David & Levinsohn, James, 1995. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 799-836, August.
- David Hummels & James Levinsohn, 1993. "Monopolistic Competition and International Trade: Reconsidering the Evidence," NBER Working Papers 4389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- Rauch, James E., 1999.
"Networks versus markets in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-35, June.
- Vicent Pinilla & Raúl Serrano, 2010. "The long-run decline in the share of agricultural and food products in international trade, 1951-2000: a gravity equation approach of its causes," Documentos de Trabajo de la Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria 1002, Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria.
- James E. Anderson, 2011.
"The Gravity Model,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 133-160, 09.
- Yiagadeesen Samy & Vivek H. Dehejia, 2008. "Trade and Labor Standards in the European Union: A Gravity Model Approach," Carleton Economic Papers 08-08, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
- Kiertisak Toh, 1982. "A cross-section analysis of intra-industry trade in U.S. manufacturing industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 118(2), pages 281-301, June.
- Horácio Faustino & Isabel Proença, 2011. "Effects of Immigration on Intra-Industry Trade: A logit analysis," Working Papers Department of Economics 2011/19, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Ra� l Serrano & Vicente Pinilla, 2012. "The long-run decline in the share of agricultural and food products in international trade: a gravity equation approach to its causes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(32), pages 4199-4210, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45994. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.