Semiparametric Construction of Spatial Generalized Hedonic Models for Private Properties
This paper analyzes the empirical hedonic prices for non-standard condominiums and single family houses using nonparametric estimates as well as a generalized additive model for the spatial generalization of the attractiveness of all Swiss communities. We find that the assumption of log-linearity for continuous variables does not hold but can be replaced by partwise log-linear or quadratic terms. Due to the topographical segmentation of Switzerland, driving times seem to be more adequate than geographical distances to explain the price level of a village with the price level of its neighbours. We show, that using metric multidimensional scaling, the driving times between the villages can be converted into artificial coordinates with three principal axis to serve as a basis for the prediction of the macro-locations of the Swiss villages.
Volume (Year): 142 (2006)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 58 631 32 34
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Hoesli & Philippe Favarger & Carmelo Giaccotto, 1997.
"Real Estate Price Indices and Performance: The Case of Geneva,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 133(I), pages 29-48, March.
- Hoesli, M. & Favarger, P., 1996. "Real Estate Price Indices and Performance: The Case of Geneva," Papers 96.13, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Steven C. Bourassa & Eva Cantoni & Martin Hoesli, 2005. "Spatial Dependence, Housing Submarkets, and House Prices," FAME Research Paper Series rp151, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2004. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(S1), pages 60-109, February.
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," IZA Discussion Papers 853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bradford Case & John Clapp & Robin Dubin & Mauricio Rodriguez, 2004. "Modeling Spatial and Temporal House Price Patterns: A Comparison of Four Models," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 167-191, 09.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Jonathan Murray & Nicholas Sarantis, 1999. "Price-Quality Relations and Hedonic Price Indexes for Cars in the United Kingdom," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 5-27.
- Stephen Malpezzi, "undated". "Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- John M. Clapp, 2004. "A Semiparametric Method for Estimating Local House Price Indices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 127-160, 03.
- Kinoshita, Tomio, 1987. "Working Hours and Hedonic Wages in the Market Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1262-1277, December.
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)