Estimation of Hedonic Models Using a Multilevel Approach: An Application for the Swiss Rental Market
This paper is an empirical application of a hedonic model to determine rents in Switzerland. Unlike traditional hedonic models, we take account of the fact that data are clustered at different levels. The resulting spatial autocorrelation and heterogeneity permits a consideration of different submarkets within Switzerland. For the empirical analysis, we consider the special case of the clustering of apartments at municipality level. Our results show that even after controlling for housing and locational attributes, a significant part of rental differences are still attributable to municipality differences.
Volume (Year): 144 (2008)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Quigley, John M., 1985. "Consumer choice of dwelling, neighborhood and public services," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 41-63, February.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Martin Hoesli & Philippe Favarger & Carmelo Giaccotto, 1997.
"Real Estate Price Indices and Performance: The Case of Geneva,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 133(I), pages 29-48, March.
- Hoesli, M. & Favarger, P., 1996. "Real Estate Price Indices and Performance: The Case of Geneva," Papers 96.13, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Philippe Thalmann, 1987. "Explication empirique des loyers lausannois," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 123(I), pages 47-70, March.
- Phil Graves & James C. Murdoch & Mark A. Thayer & Don Waldman, 1988. "The Robustness of Hedonic Price Estimation: Urban Air Quality," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 64(3), pages 220-233.
- Stefan Sebastian Fahrlaender, 2005.
"Semiparametric Construction of Spatial Generalized Hedonic Models for Private Properties,"
dp0507, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Stefan Sebastian Fahrländer, 2006. "Semiparametric Construction of Spatial Generalized Hedonic Models for Private Properties," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(IV), pages 501–528, December.
- Patrick Bajari & Matthew E. Kahn, 2005.
"Estimating Housing Demand With an Application to Explaining Racial Segregation in Cities,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 20-33, January.
- Patrick Bajari & Matthew E. Kahn, 2003. "Estimating Housing Demand with an Application to Explaining Racial Segregation in Cities," NBER Working Papers 9891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bajari & Matthew E. Kahn, 2002. "Estimating Housing Demand with an Application to Explaining Racial Segregation in Cities," Working Papers 02011, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Vladimir Bajic, 1985. "Housing-Market Segmentation and Demand for Housing Attributes: Some Empirical Findings," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 58-75.
- Basu, Sabyasachi & Thibodeau, Thomas G, 1998. "Analysis of Spatial Autocorrelation in House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 61-85, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2008-iv-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.