Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise
This study examines the effect of road and railway noise on property prices. It uses the hedonic regression technique on a Swedish data set that contains information about both road and railway noise for each property, and finds that road noise has a larger negative impact on the property prices than railway noise. This is in line with the evidence from the acoustical literature which has shown that individuals are more disturbed by road than railway noise, but contradicts recent results from a hedonic study on data of the United Kingdom.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freeman, A Myrick, III, 1974. "Air Pollution and Property Values: A Further Comment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 554-56, November.
- Palmquist, Raymond B., 2006. "Property Value Models," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 763-819 Elsevier.
- Nijland, H. A. & Van Kempen, E. E. M. M. & Van Wee, G. P. & Jabben, J., 2003. "Costs and benefits of noise abatement measures," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 131-140, April.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6486 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brett Day & Ian Bateman & Iain Lake, 2007. "Beyond implicit prices: recovering theoretically consistent and transferable values for noise avoidance from a hedonic property price model," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(1), pages 211-232, May.
- Kenneth A. Small & Seiji Steimetz, 2006.
"Spatial Hedonics and the Willingness to Pay for Residential Amenities,"
050631, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2007.
- Kenneth A. Small & Seiji S.C. Steimetz, 2012. "Spatial Hedonics And The Willingness To Pay For Residential Amenities," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 635-647, October.
- Andersson, Henrik, 2006.
"Willingness to Pay for Car Safety: Evidence from Sweden,"
2006:7, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Henrik Andersson, 2008. "Willingness to Pay for Car Safety: Evidence from Sweden," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 579-594, December.
- Ekeland, Ivar & Heckman, James J. & Nesheim, Lars, 2003.
"Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ivar Ekeland & James Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2002. "Identification and estimation of hedonic models," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 1031, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ivar Ekeland & James J. Heckman & Lars P. Nesheim, 2003. "Identification and Estimation of Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 9910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998.
"Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003. "Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2007. "Noise Charges in Road Traffic: A Pricing Schedule Based on the Marginal Cost Principle," Working Papers 2007:15, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI), revised 17 Jun 2009.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2007.
"Noise charges in railway infrastructure: A pricing schedule based on the marginal cost principle,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 204-213, May.
- Andersson, Henrik & Ögren, Mikael, 2006. "Noise Charges in Railway Infrastructure: A Pricing Schedule Based on the Marginal Cost Principle," Working Papers 2006:4, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Jon P. Nelson, 2004. "Meta-Analysis of Airport Noise and Hedonic Property Values," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Marcel A. J. Theebe, 2004. "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: The Impact of Traffic Noise on House Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2_3), pages 209-234, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:45:y:2010:i:1:p:73-89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.